Downloading and executing software for Wouxun KG-1000 Plus

WSBY419

Question

I've downloaded the zipped Wouxun KG-1000 plus programming files (there are 2) from the 2-way radio site using my windows laptop.

They seemed to open but, they disappeared once I executed the 2nd file. The totally useless Wouxun website didn't even offer the programming software for this radio. Instead, I had to click the "other" button from their selection. This got a chat window to pop-up. Needless to say, it was automated and is supposed to send me an email with an answer to my inquiry as to why they don't offer programming software for one of their most expensive GMRS radios.

In the meantime, I'm unable to program this (what is now a POS) radio until at least Monday and probably much later than that.

If any of you can assist me with getting the software downloaded, installed and actually working on a windows laptop, I'd be grateful for it.

6 answers to this question

You can download the software from Buy Two Way Radios website: https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-1000g-plus.html click on the downloads tab at the bottom of the description and then the KG-1000G-Plus-Programming-Software file.

Within the downloaded file you will have two files, one has (64) at the end of it, the other one does not. The one with (64) at the end of it is for 64bit Windows, the other is 32bit. You only need one and most likely the 64bit version.

The Wouxun software is not digitally signed from the manufacturer. This will more than likely trigger a "Windows protected your PC" if running Windows Defender antivirus with a "Unknown publisher" message and a option buttons to "Run anyway" or "Don't run" and click on "Run anyway". That should start the install process with another warning message that the software is not signed. 

If you are running under a restricted/limited account on Windows or using a 3rd party antivirus, chances are you won't be able to install the software because it's not signed. Try disabling your antivirus during install and right click on the install file and "run as administrator" to get it installed

Good luck with the install - also remember the programming port is on the SIDE of the radio, not the front (same connectors). You would be surprised how many people I've talked to having trouble programming this radio that use the wrong port.

36 minutes ago, markskjerve said:

You can download the software from Buy Two Way Radios website: https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-1000g-plus.html click on the downloads tab at the bottom of the description and then the KG-1000G-Plus-Programming-Software file.

Within the downloaded file you will have two files, one has (64) at the end of it, the other one does not. The one with (64) at the end of it is for 64bit Windows, the other is 32bit. You only need one and most likely the 64bit version.

The Wouxun software is not digitally signed from the manufacturer. This will more than likely trigger a "Windows protected your PC" if running Windows Defender antivirus with a "Unknown publisher" message and a option buttons to "Run anyway" or "Don't run" and click on "Run anyway". That should start the install process with another warning message that the software is not signed. 

If you are running under a restricted/limited account on Windows or using a 3rd party antivirus, chances are you won't be able to install the software because it's not signed. Try disabling your antivirus during install and right click on the install file and "run as administrator" to get it installed

Good luck with the install - also remember the programming port is on the SIDE of the radio, not the front (same connectors). You would be surprised how many people I've talked to having trouble programming this radio that use the wrong port.

A blue screen pops up  for either version reading, "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk."

There is no option from there to open the program/app. If I go to the hard drive, it only allows to uninstall the virus program. I don't want to take such a risk as I may not be able to reinstall it as I forget passwords.

Quite honestly, this is becoming far far far more of a hassle than it's worth to me. I'm not used to laying down nearly $1,000.00 only to be at the mercy of a Chinese piece of software.

7 minutes ago, WSBY419 said:

A blue screen pops up  for either version reading, "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk."

There is no option from there to open the program/app. If I go to the hard drive, it only allows to uninstall the virus program. I don't want to take such a risk as I may not be able to reinstall it as I forget passwords.

Quite honestly, this is becoming far far far more of a hassle than it's worth to me. I'm not used to laying down nearly $1,000.00 only to be at the mercy of a Chinese piece of software.

Right-click on the installer/setup program, select "properties", check "Unblock" next to the security warning "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer", click "OK" then try installing again.

2 hours ago, markskjerve said:

Right-click on the installer/setup program, select "properties", check "Unblock" next to the security warning "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer", click "OK" then try installing again.

This worked, thank you. 

Just curious but what are you needing to program into the radio that you need a computer for? I have the KG-1000Gplus and have not ever plugged it in to a computer. In fact that's one of the reasons I chose Wouxun radios is because most can be programmed without a computer.

So I would hardly call that a POS. in my book it is an advantage. It's not like you can't use the radio if it has not been programed with a computer.

My radios are for back up emergency comms and the last thing I want is to be tied to a computer if I need to change something on a radio.

But that is my use case, yours maybe different.

9 hours ago, WRWE456 said:

Just curious but what are you needing to program into the radio that you need a computer for? I have the KG-1000Gplus and have not ever plugged it in to a computer. In fact that's one of the reasons I chose Wouxun radios is because most can be programmed without a computer.

So I would hardly call that a POS. in my book it is an advantage. It's not like you can't use the radio if it has not been programed with a computer.

My radios are for back up emergency comms and the last thing I want is to be tied to a computer if I need to change something on a radio.

But that is my use case, yours maybe different.

I use both methods, depending on the changes I need to make.