Desk Mic for MXT500

OldCoot

Question

Looking for a desk mic for my MXT500. Midland does not have one, and I cannot find a vendor that has one. I do have the pin-out for the mic-jack, but not the skill level to make the modification to an off-the-shelf desk mic.

1 answer to this question

18 hours ago, OldCoot said:

Looking for a desk mic for my MXT500. Midland does not have one, and I cannot find a vendor that has one. I do have the pin-out for the mic-jack, but not the skill level to make the modification to an off-the-shelf desk mic.

The Midland MXT500 mic jack is an 8-pin jack port. Do you know if all 8 pins are used? The pin-out information should tell you that.  If so, you will need to find a Desk Mic with 8 wirings and the diagram/pin-outs for the Desk Mic in order to match the pin-outs for the MXT500 mic-jack. Are you able to obtain that information?

One thought is cannibalize a donor MXT 500 mic for the Midland mic connector and mate the wirings to the recipient Desk Mic. wirings.

The desk microphone impedance will need to match the radio microphone impedance.

If you can obtain all the information and the required components, I can do the soldering for you. I have a MXT500 that I can test it out for you after the soldering.

I won't charge you for the work but you will need to cover the shipping cost both ways and include the prepaid shipping label when you send me the components.

There used to be several radio accessory shops that would do custom twoway radio  audio work with audio accessories such as Setcom, PVP Communications, Klein Electronics, and Planet Headset. Some have stopped doing custom work and they  just focus on production work only now. You might want to contact the aforementioned and see if they would be willing to do custom work for you.