Midland GXT1000VP4

rmetc925

I have them and they work very well. Yes, no reporter, but they have very good range. I also have the Tera Tr-505's to use for repeater access.

I bought the Midlands before the Teras. I bought the Midlands after first trying the Motorola bubble pack radios with repeater capabilities. One was defective, too low of volume, and the Midlands had slightly better range and clarity. I am happy with them. In fact, I am getting ready to take a motorcycle trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons and we will most likely be taking the Midlands most likely since they are water resistant and the antenna is shorter than the ones I have currently on the Teras. 

We took the Midlands on a cruise earlier in the year. I was on deck 9 aft, lying in the Sun, and my wife was on deck 1 midship at reception. I was able to talk to her clearly. Locally in the Ozarks, I have gotten 3.2 miles line of site. Not bad for a bubble pack radio in the hills, trees and buildings. Yes, the Teras are better, but these are good radios for the money, and I really am not concerned about damaging them. 

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I have 8 of these radios that I hand out to clients on my guided trips.  They take a lot of abuse. They are durable and very user-friendly for comms on the trail vs. CB.  The rechargeable batteries last about a day.  On multi-day trips I carry a couple dozen Duracell batteries and these radios can easily go 2.5 to 3 days on a fresh set of quality alkaline batteries. 

Have not had one of these radios fail on me yet, I recommend them.

• 3 years later...
On 12/23/2018 at 7:50 PM, shaine said:

I picked up a pair to complement a couple of mobile radios in our cars. We use DCS to keep our channel quiet, so the GXT1000 radios ensure compatibility.

I know, old thread, but I'm just now seeing it.

I can second what has been said about the Midland GXT1000 radios.  Very good quality, durable, reliable, crystal clear TX & RX.  True they are not repeater capable, but if you can get past that, they are my choice for simplex operation. 

We use them car to car, never more than several miles apart, so simplex works well out where there are no repeaters anyway.