Ryobi 18V Battery for Radio Power

WRDJ205

Question

Anyone else ever tried this?   I bought the transformer for Ryobi 18v system but all the major tool suppliers are available.   Used the suppled connector to hook the transformer to the battery adapter and installed power pole connections downstream.  

For testing purposes I hooked it up to a Wouxun KG-XS20G.  The supplied power was 12.5V after the step down.  The radio needs 13.8v +/- 15% so should be within range.  Per the power meter, in RX the radio pulled about 0.2A and TX it was under 5A.  

Transmission was fine and did not seem to cause any issues.  Left in standby for several hours and transmitted with fellow radio enthusiasts for 5-10 min.  

I will do more testing but it looks like this might be another acceptable power source.   

Thoughts?  

IMG_1807.jpeg

5 answers to this question

Yes that works.  You won’t get the max watts at only 12.5volts but that’s ok.  I run my base hooked to an agm battery at around 12.5v.  Never had a problem except not max amps.  The only issue that will arise is longevity but I’m sure you already know that.   It’s for sure a tool in the tool box. 

21 hours ago, Ian said:

Been thinking about doing something like this.  Where'd you get the parts?

Amazon.  They had a variety of different configurations.  Had to be careful bc I almost got the wrong one (it was a different converted output voltage).