RT97 hanging up on transmit after rain

WSBQ643

Question

This question may have been asked before but I need a little help. I have an RT97 with an MAO9 antenna. Installed it and worked great until the rain. Now when I key up my HT the RT97 stays stuck in transmit for a 10 or 15 seconds putting out broken up static. I don't think I have a repeater problem but was wondering if the the antenna maybe got wet at some point in all the connection where it is screwed together that may be causing this. 

Thanks for any help.

1 answer to this question

9 minutes ago, WSBQ643 said:

This question may have been asked before but I need a little help. I have an RT97 with an MAO9 antenna. Installed it and worked great until the rain. Now when I key up my HT the RT97 stays stuck in transmit for a 10 or 15 seconds putting out broken up static. I don't think I have a repeater problem but was wondering if the the antenna maybe got wet at some point in all the connection where it is screwed together that may be causing this. 

Thanks for any help.

Rain in antenna connections is a fairly common occurrence if the connections aren’t waterproofed. PL-259/SO-239 connections are not weatherproof. 
Worst case you might need to replace the cable or at least shorten the cable to get rid of damage caused by moisture in the dielectric layer.