Is the "uplink" tone the same as the Encode tone ?

WSCB609

Question

7 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, kidphc said:

Simple answer yes.

You encode a transmission and decode on reception. Is a simple way of thinking of it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Do I have to set the decode to transmit?  Or can I leave it blank for hitting a repeater ?   I can hear the repeater w/o a decode tone no problem.

Reason I'm asking is I can't hit a repeater 5 miles away with a 20w radio and mag mount rooftop antenna. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I have the encode set to D423N.....

You do not have to have a tone on receive. Since the tones block incomming messages that don't have matching tones. You would hear it if no tones are set on your radio, even if they have tones enabled.

If you don't have tones on receive you will hear all transmissions on that frequency.

No tones on encode shouldn't not be done (most repeaters have tones on input). So that it will ignore and not repeat any transmission that don't have matching tones.

To complicate things more, there is cross repeater talk as well as repeaters with multiple tones.

34 minutes ago, kidphc said:

You do not have to have a tone on receive. Since the tones block incomming messages that don't have matching tones. You would hear it if no tones are set on your radio, even if they have tones enabled.

If you don't have tones on receive you will hear all transmissions on that frequency.

No tones on encode shouldn't not be done (most repeaters have tones on input). So that it will ignore and not repeat any transmission that don't have matching tones.

To complicate things more, there is cross repeater talk as well as repeaters with multiple tones.

So I have the Encode set correctly at D423N as shown in the original post.   Ok, I'll keep working on it.      

Interestingly, this repeater has been down for 4 days,   Not a peep on that channel.

So I have the Encode set correctly at D423N as shown in the original post.   Ok, I'll keep working on it.      

Interestingly, this repeater has been down for 4 days,   Not a peep on that channel.
If the repeate comes up and you still can't make it. Might be worth finding a high peak closer to the repeater. Especially, with a ht.

Not all repeaters are created equal.

27 minutes ago, kidphc said:

If the repeate comes up and you still can't make it. Might be worth finding a high peak closer to the repeater. Especially, with a ht.

Not all repeaters are created equal.

It's not a HT, it's a mobile unit , 20W's.  I'll keep working on it.   There are trees in between though, that may be it.

Thanks for the answers !

FYI, I know there is a 5 meg diff between Tx and Rx.

4 hours ago, WSCB609 said:

IMG_8245.jpeg

Just a friendly heads up. When asking questions about repeaters don’t post specific info on the repeater unless you are in the private (members only) area of the forum. So maybe just don’t include the name of the repeater or leave out specific tones. Here’s the what and why per forum rules located here

Private content. Do not post sensitive information such as repeater PL/DPL (also known as privacy or CTCSS/DCS tones) tones outside of the Private Discussion forum. This is to protect sensitive information from being picked up and indexed by search engines such as Google and Bing. 

4 hours ago, WSCB609 said:

D423 the same as D423N

The N indicates Normal while an I would be for Inverted.  

3 hours ago, WSCB609 said:

FYI, I know there is a 5 meg diff between Tx and Rx

As you mentioned there is a +5 for Tx. It is worth noting that the +5 is automatically added on the preset repeater channels of GMRS radios and won’t require you to add it. You may know this already so I mean no disrespect by mentioning it, just trying to help. It sounds like you are on the right path.