BoofWang AR-5RM

Was interested in the GRMS specific UV-5G+, and went poking around Amazon yesterday.  So, sounded like something to get to "upgrade" from my bagfull of UV-5R's. BF-F8+'s, and UV-5X3's.

Around 35 dollhairs its a darn cheap HT, but poking around more I discovered what appeared to be the same radio, the AR-5RM, at 28 dollhairs.

Best I can tell its basically the same radio but its "unlocked", as the term goes. 

So, ordered it yesterday and was on my doorstep today, and for a update of basically the UV-5R, i am liking it.

One weirdness is CHIRP, and  have the latest version but the 5RM coding is still experimental, so its to be expected i guess.

Radio has 999 channels, but in a change from any BoofWangs i know to date is its memory slots start at 1 instead of 0, but has 1000 positions showing on download.

I can save to slot 1000, upload it fine, but it of course just ignores it if i try to scroll through it on the radio after upload.

Can save the file fine to open up with CHIRP, but it will actually tell me its wrong if i try to export it as a CSV.

Otherwise until CHIRP gets the coding for this out of experimental, and it works and im not bashing CHIRP, im liking it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2024 at 11:01 PM, WRXP381 said:

Glad you like it.   What ever works for you and gets you on the air.  I love all my radios $20-$500.    Just steer clear of midland/retivis. Hahah

The MIdland I get being the owner of the reasonably crappy MXT275 (older version, no split tones just when I started using repeaters) But have been mulling over the Retevis RA87 vs the Radddddioity Da40. More budget friendly at this time that a Wuoxun 1000.  What's the story one these two?

36 minutes ago, Davichko5650 said:

The MIdland I get being the owner of the reasonably crappy MXT275 (older version, no split tones just when I started using repeaters) But have been mulling over the Retevis RA87 vs the Radddddioity Da40. More budget friendly at this time that a Wuoxun 1000.  What's the story one these two?

Personally I have known many people that have retivis and I wouldn’t touch one with a 10’pole.  But that’s just me.  I don’t have and don’t know any one with a radioditty of any kind so I can’t say.   I can say the kg1000 is a very good radio but it’s way out of my budget.  I get along fine with 20w tyt 8600s in the trucks.  But I need the water proof ability.   They get abused, run and dirt roads all day in old harsh trucks, windows get left open in the sun heat and cold rain and snow.  Remember also antennas are your friend.