High Voltage Transmission Lines

DSHIDS

Question

I’m wanting to put up a 35 foot tower with a Comet 712EFC on top of it using 1/2 inch hardline. Before I sink a bunch of money into it, I got High Voltage Transmission Lines on Towers within 150 foot of where I would erect my tower and antenna. Would it be a waste of money and time to even consider it from interference? I have several HT’s of different brands and it doesn’t affect any of them. Not sure though if a base would be a different story being that close to the HVT lines? Thanks for your opinions

7 answers to this question

I’m wanting to put up a 35 foot tower with a Comet 712EFC on top of it using 1/2 inch hardline. Before I sink a bunch of money into it, I got High Voltage Transmission Lines on Towers within 150 foot of where I would erect my tower and antenna. Would it be a waste of money and time to even consider it from interference? I have several HT’s of different brands and it doesn’t affect any of them. Not sure though if a base would be a different story being that close to the HVT lines? Thanks for your opinions
Shouldn't be an issue, as long as the transformers are not having issues. They should be well outside of near fields with the distance of each other.

Just make sure tower can not intersect the lines in the event of a failure with a fall over. Don't forget to calculate the height with the antenna.

One caveat pay attention to equipment grounding. Electrical hv transmission towers are like lightning magnets. This can attract near field (under a mile or so) strikes. Doesn't have to be a direct hit to damage to your equipment.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Thanks. That’s another concern of mine with the HVT line towers being a lightning magnet. Arcing over to my tower
It is not the arcing so much. It's more of the large electrical discharge of a near by strike 1-2 miles away can generate large voltage spikes, almost as bad for electronics with out the same visual effect as a direct strike.

As mentioned, you should be far enough away from the power lines. 

While high voltage power lines do put out an electromagnetic field, you have to be pretty close before they will cause interference. And they will not affect UHF/GMRS like they affect the HF frequencies.

Funny story. 

I operated a truck mounted machine shop powered by a 25KW PTO driven generator. The generator was not electromangetically suppressed and would jam all comm equipment within 100-150 feet of the truck.

As mentioned, you should be far enough away from the power lines. 
While high voltage power lines do put out an electromagnetic field, you have to be pretty close before they will cause interference. And they will not affect UHF/GMRS like they affect the HF frequencies.
Funny story. 
I operated a truck mounted machine shop powered by a 25KW PTO driven generator. The generator was not electromangetically suppressed and would jam all comm equipment within 100-150 feet of the truck.
We use to walk under transmission line, when I was younger. We would go at night with the old shop fluorescent bulbs.

It was very cool how the lights would light up. You could make the emf waves in the light patterns, like ripples of waves.

Now I am older I do not recommend it. Lol

I operated a power plant for over 30 years and the antenna for our UHF site radios was less than 70 feet from a 72KV transformer and transmission lines. There was no special grounding for the base station or antenna (professionally installed). We never had any problems with TX/RX. Where I live now I have a GMRS j-pole less than 100 feet from 200+KV transmission lines and have no issues.

EMF will affect HF for sure and can affect VHF depending on how strong the electromagnetic field is and distance from the source.

I am surrounded on three sides by utility lines in town with two transformers (one south and one north of my property. And the neighbor's above ground service connection is on the fourth side. I haven't noticed any interference on HF, VHF or UHF.