Repeater permission

I tried to get permission through here to a nearby repeater and didn't have any luck.  Waited 10 days.  It also said to contact on facebook, which is something I don't do.  But my wife does and I pestered her until she contacted the owner and he was glad to give me permission.  Also said he gets so much spam that he pretty much ignores what comes from here.  So it may be that.

6 hours ago, LeoG said:

I tried to get permission through here to a nearby repeater and didn't have any luck.  Waited 10 days.  It also said to contact on facebook, which is something I don't do.  But my wife does and I pestered her until she contacted the owner and he was glad to give me permission.  Also said he gets so much spam that he pretty much ignores what comes from here.  So it may be that.

Spam from here?  I am yet to see that with any of the repeaters I have listed here.

But I would be curious to know how much the owner monitors his repeater if he's concerned with 'spam' from the GMRS web site.  I am betting that this is another case of a repeater that got installed and forgotten by it's owner.

On 6/13/2024 at 9:20 AM, WRYW366 said:

Why would you require repeater use permission and NOT log in for 3 months??

Some, though thankfully not most, repeater owners have some major control freak issues going on.  They have lengthy lists of "thou shalts" and "thou shalt nots" which may be frequently added to.  One such repeater, a friend sent me a link to last night.  The dude who owns it sounds to be on the verge of a major mental/emotional breakdown of some type.

The group for the repeater I am a part owner of try to be laid back about it.  All we ask is a reasonable effort to follow the rules (ID at appropriate intervals, no profanity, etc).

As has been noted, try not to argue too much with the owner if you want to use it as it IS their repeater.

14 hours ago, RayP said:

Some, though thankfully not most, repeater owners have some major control freak issues going on.  They have lengthy lists of "thou shalts" and "thou shalt nots" which may be frequently added to.  One such repeater, a friend sent me a link to last night.  The dude who owns it sounds to be on the verge of a major mental/emotional breakdown of some type.

The group for the repeater I am a part owner of try to be laid back about it.  All we ask is a reasonable effort to follow the rules (ID at appropriate intervals, no profanity, etc).

As has been noted, try not to argue too much with the owner if you want to use it as it IS their repeater.

That sounds exactly like someone in my area.  He started getting upset because people were actually using it! I somewhat understand why some repeater  owners are like that, but no one owns those frequencies 

I operate a repeater in my area and wish more people would use it. I have had well over 100 requests and if there are a handful of regular users, I'd be exaggerating. I certainly don't have one of those elaborate systems where I'm paying tower rental, but do have some expenses. Between my 50' tower, hardline, good N connectors, repeater(s), duplexer and antenna, I have well over $1,000 into it, but I actually want people to use it