GRMS Needed?

Guest mav375

1 hour ago, PartsMan said:

A cell phone is only helpful if you know the other person's number.

When you are broke down in the middle of nowhere and see a stranger drive by  three miles away radios are awesome.

If they even have a radio and if your on the same frequency and if they are listening and they dont have pl tones set. 

the reality is the very first rule of off roading (overloading) never go out alone 

And you should have a number for an off-road towing & recovery company for the just-in-case you are within cellular coverage and know what GMRS repeaters that may be nearby.

If you are not in a group while off roading you should be scanning all 8 GMRS simplex channel or at least be monitoring Ch. 16.

The answer is NO.  We don't NEED it.  We don't need a forum attached to it where clowns like the OP can come on and ask truly dumb questions, and yes folks there ARE indeed dumb questions.  This thread right here proves that.  Asking a bunch of people that are personally involved with something, on a forum were it's whole purpose is that something if it's needed.  That would be a dumb question.

We don't need people on such forums that are so full of themselves that they have created an AI chat where you can chat with their AI.  Really?  You actually did this?  You self centered egotistical clown.  I would rather wire my balls to a fence charger than have a conversation with you or your AI clone.  Where does this shit come from?  Can you actually fit your head through a doorway?  The level of self promotion here is at a new level of wow.  I half wonder if you, or someone with your mindset creates bogus accounts to post things like this to generate fodder and stir up hate and discontent for your own personal amusement.

Which brings me to the stress of dealing with the outright stupidity part of dealing with the whole thing.  People asking questions over and over that have been answered a hundred times already but are too lazy to search the forum to see if there is already an answer to their question.   Trying to figure out the FCC and what they may or may not begin enforcement of the regulations.  And what those broadly written, impossible to decipher codex's mean.  And get to get hit every 6 months with some new video of some  interpretation of said regulations, or the proposed threat of an enforcement action.  Nope, we don't NEED that headache either.  At least I don't.  

So, it comes down to this.  We do this because we CHOOSE to.  While GMRS, within it's written regulations, was really not meant to be a social gathering of people for idle discussions about a range of unrelated topics. That is exactly what it's being used for.  We enjoy each others company, and engaging in those discussions.  So we choose to engage.  And it's not really a hobby per say.  It's a conduit for direct conversation between people.  We choose to have those conversations, to interact with those people at the other end of the radio for social reasons. 

And dealing with that number of people will bring out the need to deal with people that you might not want to deal with.  But that's part of it too.  

But, remember this too.  YouTube is monetized.  For every click of a video, someone gets paid.  That's a business, even if it's not a direct marketing of some material or intellectual item for direct sale, it's still a method of generating income.  

9 hours ago, WRKC935 said:

The answer is NO.  We don't NEED it.  We don't need a forum attached to it where clowns like the OP can come on and ask truly dumb questions, and yes folks there ARE indeed dumb questions.  This thread right here proves that.  Asking a bunch of people that are personally involved with something, on a forum were it's whole purpose is that something if it's needed.  That would be a dumb question...

Not sure why the OP would ask here, rather than an overlanding site, such as expedition portal forum that has a dedicated thread to comms. So many variables to consider before making a recommendation, especially overlanding to where and with who/what.

13 minutes ago, CALO50 said:

Not sure why the OP would ask here, rather than an overlanding site, such as expedition portal forum that has a dedicated thread to comms. So many variables to consider before making a recommendation, especially overlanding to where and with who/what.

It was a typical guest poster hit-and-run. Sit on the sidelines and watch it burn. He probably won't be back.

On 6/22/2024 at 11:58 AM, WRXP381 said:

If they even have a radio and if your on the same frequency and if they are listening and they dont have pl tones set. 

Sorry, I thought is was understood that GMRS 16 was becoming the norm for off-roading.

Someone , with a radio and willing to help off road, will be monitoring 16 or scanning all the channels.

1 hour ago, PartsMan said:

Sorry, I thought is was understood that GMRS 16 was becoming the norm for off-roading. Someone , with a radio and willing to help off road, will be monitoring 16 or scanning all the channels.

It is becoming the norm for off-roading, but when I'm out I scan/listen to all channels.

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

It is becoming the norm for off-roading, but when I'm out I scan/listen to all channels.

When I am the only Jeep (usually with a shotgunner) out on an easy Fire Road where it's flat and wide not likely to get into trouble, I do the same, scan all main and interstitial 462 MHz channels with the radio set to Tx on Ch.16 and I have my CB also on Ch. 16. Most of the Jeep Club's I run with use Ch. 16 with a specific DPL code for Trail Comm. However, when I wheel with them I run my radio in the monitor mode for CSQ on the receive side.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I scan with no tone or code, CSQ on receive but I do have the travel tone set on Tx freqs.

2 hours ago, WRHS218 said:

Nokones is correct. None of those reach to the East side of the sierras. There was one repeater outside of Bishop that I requested and received access to and then a couple of weeks later the owner posted an update letting everyone know that the repeater had been stolen. He is in the process of replacing it now. Other than that one there re a couple of machines in Ridgecrest that reach a little bit of 395. I have not used them but the two El Paso Peak repeaters look like they 395. There isn't much north of Lone Pine except for the Bishop machine.