TD-H3 one of a new pair won't hit repeater. Prior pair both do

WSAR431

Question

Ordered a second pair of green TD-H3's. Bluetooth Copy from one of prior black pair to both. One hits two repeaters like the other two, but this problem green one will not.

Checked programming and it matches across all four for required tones. Swap Smiley antenna from known working from factory antenna (that works on the 2nd) and same result.

It works on GMRS ch 11 'in house' - but won't trigger the repeater. Performed a Reset ALL and no change after reprogramming channels.

Updated firmware from factory to latest June, no change. Other three running that same firmware. Repeaters are distant mountain but no problem for the other three where line of sight to the mountains is clear.

Sent email to 'support' on 6/27/24 and no reply. Got online contact to work finally but no response from TidRadio. How quickly might they respond? Seems the radio has some fault?

19 answers to this question

I had one replaced because of nearly non existent power output.  I could get about 300 yrds on simplex and it started to get bad while my other one could communicate with me for the whole walk to the park.  I complained and got it replaced.  I have about 10 of the H3s and every one of them is different in some manner.  Transmit power, receive sensitivity, desense sensitivity etc.  Since I was getting them for a bunch of family members I went and picked the best 4 to keep and then passed the rest out.  All of them are close, but not the same.

I got mine from Amazon and I put up a review that said one of them was bad.  After a couple days I contacted Tidradio from their website.  That night I got a response from the Amazon seller and after a few messages they said they were sending another radio.  What I got was a whole kit, just one radio.  So now I have an extra battery, antenna and charger.  They didn't ask for the other radio back.  Eventually I'll try to dissect it and see if I can find an issue with it.

My 20 watt mobile will turn on my neighbors motion detector light.  I've had my H3 turn my stove on when I was close to it.  All on 467Mhz, never on 462Mhz.  Also have a headlamp that can be turned on with the H3.

I have 3 repeaters 7, 17, 21 miles away that I can hit with the H3.  The 2 farthest are on mountain tops.  Sound volume when doing H3 to H3 is low/soft.

WOW - first post here - impressive response time and clarity! I scanned some posts before posting and didn't come across a trend. Certainly, they are making them in large numbers. Indeed, blame goes to @Notarubicon for sure in my case.

First set I got direct from TidRadio - second were from AMZN. I hoped support might get back to me to replace one. If I do AMZN return expect the whole kit would need to be returned :( First kit was no charge stands, but AMZN offering had them that seemed better for a 'base' stable and powered.

Also wasn't sure if TidRadio might monitor here ...

I had the same repeater connection issue. I discovered that the duck antenna diameter is rubbing/tight in the molded opening causing the antenna to feel seated when it is not fully seated.

My antenna needed another almost full revolution to open Repeaters.  I also turned Option 34 to OFF.  The radio has worked well since.

Best Regards!   

1 hour ago, LeoG said:

I got mine from Amazon and I put up a review that said one of them was bad

Thanks, I just did that will see if that expedites a similar response :) - will update ...

I'm like ~20 and ~55 miles (based on MyGMRS maps) from the 2 repeaters and best response was on the porch over the bay facing the mountains to the east where both repeaters are.

Got a $20 Nagoya 771G and last discussion from inside the house with a bay facing window worked with the one TD-H3 tested to the ~55 mile repeater using a hand mic and the TD-H3 sitting high in the room - even with no Body/GND plane. All of them would break squelch inside in hand, and this 4th one fails even outside on the porch.

Also have a SUPERSTICK IV-465 that worked well - just starting/playing so far between other distractions - and not tried that yet as above with hand mic.

The SStick worked to talk ~42 miles more South/west and less clear line of sight from porch.

8 minutes ago, CoffeeTime said:

I had the same repeater connection issue. I discovered that the duck antenna diameter is rubbing/tight in the molded opening causing the antenna to feel seated when it is not fully seated.

My antenna needed another almost full revolution to open Repeaters.  I also turned Option 34 to OFF.  The radio has worked well since.

Best Regards!   

Thx, #34 was off. Turned Duck a quarter turn ( I had just swapped it as noted above ) - went to porch and neither repeater opened back.

Just tested repeater open here at desk with two others and they both got Rx back from a PTT click to both repeaters.

Funny - I first set the radio high above as noted and it flashed on the 'touch' on desk lamp near it, and PTT has triggered three nearby GFI outlets too - those were all a surprise! BUT - for testing's sake: Bad radio triggered neither GFI - but the 2nd of the pair DID trip the GFI I 'tested'.  I should probably order a 'PROPER' power meter.

17 hours ago, LeoG said:

I got mine from Amazon and I put up a review that said one of them was bad.

Got a reply email today - "... new message from your online store's contact form."

Could you please exchange the antenna of the normal machine with that of the faulty machine and try again?

I posted that here but not in email - so I replied saying that had been done and did not help. ... now waiting ...

15 hours ago, LeoG said:

My 20 watt mobile will turn on my neighbors motion detector light.  I've had my H3 turn my stove on when I was close to it.  All on 467Mhz, never on 462Mhz.  Also have a headlamp that can be turned on with the H3.

I have 3 repeaters 7, 17, 21 miles away that I can hit with the H3.  The 2 farthest are on mountain tops.  Sound volume when doing H3 to H3 is low/soft.

That is interesting - lots of radiated power.

I though this post was removed - but just got sorted by votes and was 'on top'.

This forum is a fun "game" - this one thread and some posts and I'm only 10 points from my next 'RANK' from MegaNOOB

Got a reply, that was easy: doing the AMZN 'message to seller'. Thanks @LeoG 

Will update with what arrives "new" when it shows up.

Thanks for your support and sorry for all inconvenience

Our After-Sale Sericec supports replacement of new products.

Could you please send me your address and phone number 

I will resend new for your replacement

Thanks for your understanding and looking forward to your kindly reply

Regards

luxi

support@tidradio.com

4 hours ago, LeoG said:

I told them I would edit my rating after I received the radio.

So much for SLOW delivery - tracking number shows in CA and expected delivery Monday 7/8! 5 stars for sure if it works - esp. if a whole new kit!

The H3 is indeed little and seems to have good full feature set and nice display - USB-C Programming and USB battery charge and Bt for Copy and phone program are unique so far. And since @OffRoaderX told me to buy the UV-5G Plus which is nice before he got the even better H3 and told me to buy that I had more exposure. Not sure why I got the Baofeng UV-9G first - but both of those were upgrades over that. A friend gifted me a UV-5R .... with a dead battery - I sat on that a year not wanting my info public with HAM or GMRS license - so found a remote PO box offer and went with GMRS.