Question about antennas and setting up new radios

numnutz6383

Question

Hi all, new to the forum here. Some of my questions may seem elementary, but I'm also new to GMRS (planning on getting my HAM license in the near future), so be understanding.

I recently jumped full force into the GMRS hobby. Got my license and bought five radios within a week (family of 5). I got a Wouxun KG-935G Plus as a daily driver for myself, two Baofeng UV-9G, and two Baofeng UV-5G Plus for the family, and a Radioddity GM-30 spare. All but the Wouxun were bundles that came with the standard 5.5" and longer 15.5" (Baofeng RA-MD2 for the UV-9g and Radioddity RD-332 for the GM-30, haven't received the UV-5G radios so not sure what those are).

As I understand, AGL and LOS are the most important factors when it comes to range, and the antenna used a relatively distant second. But if given the choices I have, and usable range is what I'm after, is the longer antenna preferred? Are the antennas I have even correctly tuned?

Another question I have is what setting need to be adjusted via CHIRP or other software to get the best range and usability. For example I've seen specific squelch settings using CHIRP being recommended for the Baofeng. Are there other things that should be adjusted?

8 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, numnutz6383 said:

But if given the choices I have, and reusable range is what I'm afyer, is the longer antenna preferred? Are the antennas I have even correctly tuned?

Not sure what "reusable range" is but in my short experience, the longer antennas only perform marginally better but are quite unwieldly so I personally prefer the shorter antennas. As far as tuning, if the antennas are GMRS antennas, they should be tuned properly. If they are U/V antennas, they will likely be tuned close enough but not perfect.

For range, height is might. After that, a little more power can be handy trying to punch the signal through a bunch of trees.

I think the longer antennas increase the range and the readability on the other end significantly over the OEM antennas.  I got the TD H3s and replaced the OEM with the Smiley Rubber Duck and the Nagoya 771G.  The Smiley is great because it's a little better than the OEM but much shorter, very convenient.  The 771G is long and a bit cumbersome, but it gives you that extra range if you need it.  I talk through a repeater that's 21 miles away with the 771G while the Smiley works, the voice volume is much lower.

For the most part I leave the 771G on the radio for the extra range.

The Smiley cost almost as much as a radio kit of one.  But that's the one I prefer to have on if I'm not planning on a lot of repeater talk.  I figured the 701G wasn't really much better than the OEM so I didn't bother.  I did think about it though and watched many videos which is why I have the Smiley.

Holy programming cable confusion batman.

When I got my first Baofeng UV5R (~6 years ago) the recommendation was a genuine one with an FTDI chip, which I did, and since have misplaced. From what I see, for the combination of radios I have it (Wouxun/Baofeng) I would need a PCO-001/009 for the Wouxun and a PC03 for the Baofengs. But then I'm seeing some things about these cables being incompatible with Windows 11, which is all I have. 

What cable(s) do I need to program these radios?