GMRS repeater permission(and setting) questions

Hello, new here! What is the etiquette on just using someone's repeater if all the information is listed? I have requested permission from about 4 repeaters in my area that don't require paid subscriptions or memberships. I have tried the closest ones to me, but I am uncertain where on the chirp software to put the tones in. I am unsure if it is TSQL or how to properly enter and never had one successfully hit the repeater tail sound. It may be that I had it right and am not close enough as I am only using a 5w handheld, but would like to be able to program them in and be ready to test it when I'm out and about. But before all this, I didn't wanna step on toes as none of the permission requests I made almost 2 weeks ago have been denied or granted. I have heard people talk from here though.

Unless you think the repeater might be closed/permission-only, then just start using it. Worst case scenario is the repeater owner will come on and ask you to stop using it, but if all the info is listed publicly then it is probably "open" for anyone to use..

As far as your settings, that all depends on what model of radio you are using... Soooo ?  But if it is a "GMRS" radio, just figure out which repeater channel to use based on the listed frequency for the repeater, then go to that channel and then into to menu setting and add/save the Transmit CTCSS or DCS/DTC tone and you're done, no need for guessing what settings to use in CHIRP.. 

HOWEVER - if you are using a H.A.M. radio, then... you should have bought a GMRS radio.. And in that case, good luck because you will need it.

2 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Unless you think the repeater might be closed/permission-only, then just start using it. Worst case scenario is the repeater owner will come on and ask you to stop using it, but if all the info is listed publicly then it is probably "open" for anyone to use..

As far as your settings, that all depends on what model of radio you are using... Soooo ?  But if it is a "GMRS" radio, just figure out which repeater channel to use based on the listed frequency for the repeater, then go to that channel and then into to menu setting and add/save the Transmit CTCSS or DCS/DTC tone and you're done, no need for guessing what settings to use in CHIRP.. 

HOWEVER - if you are using a H.A.M. radio, then... you should have bought a GMRS radio.. And in that case, good luck because you will need it.

Thanks very much for the info. If you are who I think you are, I'm a fan of your channel! I am using a UV-9 G baofeng, so does it matter if it's tone or tsql? I have a saved radio file I think I might have right then. One has only a tx tone the other two has tx/rx tones listed. those both need put in if it has two correct? I will try and figure out how to get a screen grab and post a pic of the setup if possible. I'm just trying not to mess things up or make people mad! Im sure I can figure it out, I'm also into the drone and FPV hobby and I figured that stuff out just well enough.

43 minutes ago, WSDQ761 said:

Thanks very much for the info. If you are who I think you are, I'm a fan of your channel! I am using a UV-9 G baofeng, so does it matter if it's tone or tsql? I have a saved radio file I think I might have right then. One has only a tx tone the other two has tx/rx tones listed. those both need put in if it has two correct? I will try and figure out how to get a screen grab and post a pic of the setup if possible. I'm just trying not to mess things up or make people mad! Im sure I can figure it out, I'm also into the drone and FPV hobby and I figured that stuff out just well enough.

Within CHIRP:

Tone means you transmit with the repeater's PL/CTCSS tone, which you must do for the repeater to listen to you.

TSQL means you transmit with that tone, AND only listen if the repeater is transmitting that tone, too.

With "tone" the repeater will hear you, and you will hear the repeater plus anyone else transmitting on that channel: Kids playing walkie talkie, road crews, whatever is being transmitted on that channel.

With "TSQL" the repeater will hear you, and you will hear the repeater. You won't hear everyone else who happens to be intermittently using that frequency.

For getting things set up the first time as a newbie, "tone" leaves one less possible problem in hearing the repeater. Once you've gotten set up and made contact once to confirm you have the right tone, switch to TSQL so you don't hear unwanted chatter.

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

Not sure who you mean. I'm just a guy that's too dumb to get a H.A.M. license so I just hang around here and try to shill cheap Chinese radios.

Wait... you're the evil Satan that kills thousands of innocent baby hams a year with your dangerous spurious emissions! Begone, foul beast. The power of Chris compels you...

On 7/19/2024 at 9:23 PM, dosw said:

Within CHIRP:

Tone means you transmit with the repeater's PL/CTCSS tone, which you must do for the repeater to listen to you.

TSQL means you transmit with that tone, AND only listen if the repeater is transmitting that tone, too.

With "tone" the repeater will hear you, and you will hear the repeater plus anyone else transmitting on that channel: Kids playing walkie talkie, road crews, whatever is being transmitted on that channel.

With "TSQL" the repeater will hear you, and you will hear the repeater. You won't hear everyone else who happens to be intermittently using that frequency.

For getting things set up the first time as a newbie, "tone" leaves one less possible problem in hearing the repeater. Once you've gotten set up and made contact once to confirm you have the right tone, switch to TSQL so you don't hear unwanted chatter.

Okay, thanks a lot for that explanation and tip. I must have had a case of stupid the first time I read this because I didn't get any lights coming on from it, but as I re-read it late at night for some reason this time it made sense! I will modify the saved file I have and give it a try. Thanks again!