Repeater permission

7 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

Totally depends on the owner.  It might take hours or days or weeks or never.   Some owners don’t check email very often.  Some never check email.   Some are on top of it and check every few hours and get right back to you.  

So,That means, if he doesn't answer me, I guess I'll just hack into his repeater and transmit until he does answer........  <---< TEASING.  lol.   

3 minutes ago, mrbooker said:

So,That means, if he doesn't answer me, I guess I'll just hack into his repeater and transmit until he does answer........  <---< TEASING.  lol.   

If it shows as open, just use it.  Ask around on the repeater for permission if you ever find anyone on it.

Worst thing that can happen is they ask you to stop.

1 minute ago, WRXR255 said:

If it shows as open, just use it.  Ask around on the repeater for permission if you ever find anyone on it.

Worst thing that can happen is they ask you to stop.

I ask 4 days ago. Still no answer. Maybe when he sobers up he'll check his email.

16 minutes ago, mrbooker said:

Personally if I knew the tones and i heard people talking I would break in at a proper time and introduce myself and ask that way.  If I’m told no I’d respectfully stop. 

2 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Personally if I knew the tones and i heard people talking I would break in at a proper time and introduce myself and ask that way.  If I’m told no I’d respectfully stop. 

Yes sir. I don't know the tone yet but I'll figure it out. Thanks.

10 hours ago, mrbooker said:

How long does it usually take to get a response after you request permission to use a private repeater and how will I be notified?  ie: email/text? Thanks.

That depends on when the repeater owner / trustee looks at their e-mail. Sometimes they will respond before you can click to something else. 

6 minutes ago, Adamdaj said:

That depends on when the repeater owner / trustee looks at their e-mail. Sometimes they will respond before you can click to something else. 

How do they reply? Email/phone/MyGMRS website/ ???????

1 hour ago, mrbooker said:

I ask 4 days ago. Still no answer. Maybe when he sobers up he'll check his email.

Four days? Just be patient.

Repeaters are typically privately owned and represent the work and money of a hobbiest who may have other hobbies, other interests, other things vying for his time. If I were a repeater owner, and if I were to take a vacation for ten days and don't respond to an email from mygmrs about someone I don't know wanting access to the repeater, would that make me inappropriately slow to respond?

Give it some time.

If I didn't respond to someone in four days asking for something that I'm giving away for free, and the person got impatient I'd probably be inclined to say "Nah, this isn't going to be a good fit."

3 minutes ago, dosw said:

Four days? Just be patient.

Repeaters are typically privately owned and represent the work and money of a hobbiest who may have other hobbies, other interests, other things vying for his time. If I were a repeater owner, and if I were to take a vacation for ten days and don't respond to an email from mygmrs about someone I don't know wanting access to the repeater, would that make me inappropriately slow to respond?

Give it some time.

If I didn't respond to someone in four days asking for something that I'm giving away for free, and the person got impatient I'd probably be inclined to say "Nah, this isn't going to be a good fit."

Thanks. Guess I'm just a little overly anxious. Thats the only repeater I'd be able to hit. I been monitoring for over a week and haven't heard anyone yet. Thanks again.

7 hours ago, mrbooker said:

Thanks. Guess I'm just a little overly anxious. Thats the only repeater I'd be able to hit. I been monitoring for over a week and haven't heard anyone yet. Thanks again.

The best way to monitor that I've found is to plug your radio into a VOX recorder or a computer running Audacity in VOX mode. Come back the next day and listen. Write down call signs, and if the repeater uses more identification you can also play that into software to decode the Morse, which will give the repeater owner's call sign if you don't already know it.

But most importantly you'll know if anyone is using it, and can see how they interact: is it a rag chewing group, is there a weekly net, etc.

6 hours ago, dosw said:

The best way to monitor that I've found is to plug your radio into a VOX recorder or a computer running Audacity in VOX mode. Come back the next day and listen. Write down call signs, and if the repeater uses more identification you can also play that into software to decode the Morse, which will give the repeater owner's call sign if you don't already know it.

But most importantly you'll know if anyone is using it, and can see how they interact: is it a rag chewing group, is there a weekly net, etc.

That sounds like good advice. I'll give that a try right now, if I can figure it all out.  lol