Can my GMRS tuned antenna be used for shortwave listening?

WSBV579

Question

I've purchased a shortwave radio (ATS-20+) as a beginner radio to fool around with. It comes with a telescopic, bnc connection antenna. If I buy a connection adapter, can I use my outdoor mast mounted GMRS antenna for listening on this radio?

I'm brand new to shortwave radios, and know very little about them...but I really want to learn.

2 answers to this question

It will work. Pretty much any length antenna will work to a point. Depending on size and frequency it might be a bit deaf.

The closer the antenna is to resonant frequencies the better it will work better.

Hence, why long wire antennas, random length or resonant are perferred for mw/hf listening even on sdr radios. The rabbit ears will work but are limited by their size.

With a gmrs antenna tuned to gmrs frequencies. That is where you best frequencies of reception will be.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your new shortwave radio purchase. My best advice is to lay out a piece of copper wire as long as possible and connect it to the radio by means of the bnc connector or alligator clip it to the telescopic antenna. You will have much better luck than the GMRS antenna. P.S. don’t let anyone tell you there’s nothing left to listen to on shortwave, they are wrong. Have fun.