Mobile Repeater

WSDU974

Question

I'm setting up the retells RT97 mobile repeater for this weekends activities out and about. I have the following radios:

Ailunce HA1G

Radiodity GM-30

Retevis  RB26

I have the repeater currently on RX: 467.7250, TX: 462.7250 with no CTCS or DCS tones. I am able to hear myself transmit from the HA1G and the RB26 from all radios. However, when transmitting from the GM-30 I am not able to hear anything. I have confirmed that the CTCS and DCS are off on the GM-30 and other hand helds. Any idea on what I can do to fix the issue? Is the HA1G not actually going through the repeater and just doing the normal sight to sight? I'm fairly new to GMRS and radios in general. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

7 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, WSDU974 said:

I'm setting up the retells RT97 mobile repeater for this weekends activities out and about. I have the following radios:

Ailunce HA1G

Radiodity GM-30

Retevis  RB26

I have the repeater currently on RX: 467.7250, TX: 462.7250 with no CTCS or DCS tones. I am able to hear myself transmit from the HA1G and the RB26 from all radios. However, when transmitting from the GM-30 I am not able to hear anything. I have confirmed that the CTCS and DCS are off on the GM-30 and other hand helds. Any idea on what I can do to fix the issue? Is the HA1G not actually going through the repeater and just doing the normal sight to sight? I'm fairly new to GMRS and radios in general. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It’s possible that the GM-30 simply isn’t transmitting on 467.7250.  Listen with your other two radios set to receive on that frequency with no tones and separate them from the GM-30 by 50 feet or so to make sure they aren’t desensed.

I have to agree with them. If two radios are working fine with the repeater then you might not have gotten the offset programmed correctly on the third radio.

And the offset is easy to overlook when programming multiple radios and/or multiple repeater channels at the same time. I always triple check my settings when making changes on the computer before writing to the radio for this reason.

26 minutes ago, WSDU974 said:

Right, thats the problem the GM-30 is not transmitting at all.

As I recall, there may have been an issue with some GM-30 radios not transmitting on certain channels. A firmware update solved it. 
But it may simply be the transmitting on that channel is inhibited in the settings. Check that first using whatever method you used to configure the GM-30. 
One other thing to check is that the channel is allowed to be set as a repeater channel. I don’t know how the regulations are enforced by the GM-30 but there are LOTS of posts in this forum where people were attempting to program a repeater channel where the radio would not allow. 

12 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

So this is called simplex.  Repeaters run on duplex (2 frequencies with a usual +5 off set in gmrs). Radio to radio is called simplex (1 frequency).  

1 issue may be your too close to the repeater.   Some radios really suffer from this and some don’t. Have you tried moving 40-60’ or more away?

2nd issue may just be you missed a step some where in programming the radio.  Go back and make sure you have the off set in properly.  I’m not hot on retivis, I’ve seen too many with major issues out of the box, so I can’t run the problem down but I’d bet the issue is in programming. 

I've gone through and played with the off step different repeater frequencies, and still have the same result. I've even gone into the programming software on every radio including the repeater.

12 hours ago, SteveShannon said:

It’s possible that the GM-30 simply isn’t transmitting on 467.7250.  Listen with your other two radios set to receive on that frequency with no tones and separate them from the GM-30 by 50 feet or so to make sure they aren’t desensed.

Right, thats the problem the GM-30 is not transmitting at all.

8 minutes ago, WSDU974 said:

? Is the HA1G not actually going through the repeater and just doing the normal sight to sight 

So this is called simplex.  Repeaters run on duplex (2 frequencies with a usual +5 off set in gmrs). Radio to radio is called simplex (1 frequency).  

1 issue may be your too close to the repeater.   Some radios really suffer from this and some don’t. Have you tried moving 40-60’ or more away?

2nd issue may just be you missed a step some where in programming the radio.  Go back and make sure you have the off set in properly.  I’m not hot on retivis, I’ve seen too many with major issues out of the box, so I can’t run the problem down but I’d bet the issue is in programming.