IP Connected Repeaters

Lee - Texas GMRS Network

Question

For those of you with IP connected GMRS repeaters, what software/hardware are you using (TeamSpeak, Zello, app-rpt)?  

I'd like to hear from other repeater/network owners about this.  I would like to get my repeater connected to the Internet, but would prefer to use a "standard" that's already in place and preferably something that's been adopted by other GMRS repeater owners.  Ideally, it'd be nice to have some sort of Allstar link system for GMRS repeaters that require registration of license holders to gain access to repeaters via IP clients.  I read some threads/posts on this forum about a special version of the Asterisk app-rpt that is not dependent on Allstar, but have been unsuccessful in finding that version of the software.  I have a Raspberry Pi that I'd like to use the repeater controller if that does exist.  

Any input is greatly appreciated.

12 answers to this question

All Stat is dependent on Asterisk's app_rpt.

Only IP link with analog audio I have going currently is through two Simoco SDB680 repeaters. Native interconnection, will integrate with any SIP so it could theoretically be used for app_rpt linking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you mind sharing details on how you set it up?  Did you use a custom version of app_rpt?  If so, would you mind sharing the files with me please?

Would you mind sharing details on how you set it up? Did you use a custom version of app_rpt? If so, would you mind sharing the files with me please?

Haven't had a need to set up a repeater with app_rpt so I've never really messed with it. Asterisk I've dabbled with a little but commercially most linking is either done with native IP connections built into the repeaters or using products such as the NXU.

Haven't had a need to set up a repeater with app_rpt so I've never really messed with it. Asterisk I've dabbled with a little but commercially most linking is either done with native IP connections built into the repeaters or using products such as the NXU.

So it sounds like your Simoco SDB680 repeaters have a feature that allows you to link them via IP without the need of a 3rd party device, which also connects to a SIP server allowing it to be controlled via a SIP phone.  Correct?

Correct. One of the many reasons I settled on Simoco Xd infrastructure. Some of the others include analog to digital patching, digital to analog patching, full duplex calling in Tier II and Tier III and just the price point for Tier III operation compared to other Tier III offerings.

I have a small network set up using a modified version of app_rpt. I use my own registration server so there's no dependency on the AllStar network, and no way to accidentally connect to a Ham repeater. By keeping them separate, we're in compliance with the FCC regulations for GMRS in that we're preventing unauthorized access.

You just need a PC you can wipe clean and put Linux on (or even a Raspberry Pi), and a piece of hardware to interface with the repeater. We've used the URIx board from DMK Engineering (about $70), and the RTCM board (no PC needed, but more expensive at about $270). The RTCM is tricky to set up but the big draw is that there's no need to alter the firewall settings at the repeater site (some people have no way to forward ports).

If that's something you're interested in, let me know and I can PM you with more details.

Rich (WQEJ577), I sent you a PM about an hour ago.  We are looking at the AllStar RTCM too, as we don't want to mess with PC/RPi at our sites and may use some of the advanced RTCM features in the future.  For now, we want to link two of our GMRS repeaters via VOIP.  I've been scouring this forum and the internet for info and found the following links...

http://www.micro-node.com/thin-m1.html

http://206.212.254.21/unode_docs/rtcm_%20manual.pdf  (RTCM Manual)

http://docs.allstarlink.org/drupal/node/77

I'm perusing the info and trying to make sense of it all.  If any of you can help me navigate it and move forward, that would be great.

David in Albuquerque

WQTU995

N5OFQ

n5ofq@arrl.net

I have a small network set up using a modified version of app_rpt. I use my own registration server so there's no dependency on the AllStar network, and no way to accidentally connect to a Ham repeater. By keeping them separate, we're in compliance with the FCC regulations for GMRS in that we're preventing unauthorized access.

You just need a PC you can wipe clean and put Linux on (or even a Raspberry Pi), and a piece of hardware to interface with the repeater. We've used the URIx board from DMK Engineering (about $70), and the RTCM board (no PC needed, but more expensive at about $270). The RTCM is tricky to set up but the big draw is that there's no need to alter the firewall settings at the repeater site (some people have no way to forward ports).

If that's something you're interested in, let me know and I can PM you with more details.

Would you sir be willing to share your setup with me.... I have several Asterisk servers running but I haven't dealt with app_rpt in a while and I'm missing something somewhere.  Thank you...