New TD-H3 will not transmit on anything other than GMRS even though radio has been re-set to MAIN

WSEK624

Question

12 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, WSEK624 said:

PTT only gives a beep and no output on VHF and UHF. It does receive on those bands.

What setting am I missing here.

Is there a complete reset to factory option?

The setting the radio to factory won’t do it.  You need to go through the un lock feature 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz3gHHN8KDM

If you’re doing everything else Correctly then it may be that the radio has gmrs firm ware on it and it will not unlock with out flashing new firm ware.   I’ll never try this since many radios have been bricked by other people trying to upgrade firmware.  Many people avoid this by buying a ham radio and expanding the transmission frequencies.  It’s much simpler then buying a certified gmrs radio and trying to unlock it that way. 

the H3 has had many many recent posts written about it in the past few months.  I’d say read all about it here and see if your question already has an answer.  

2 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

If you’re doing everything else Correctly then it may be that the radio has gmrs firm ware on it and it will not unlock with out flashing new firm ware. 

I don't think it matters about the firmware... Even though TIDRADIO has separate firmware files to download, I think they may be essentially the same. When you reset its mode to NORMAL it should work with the "unlocked" setup.

Question for OP WSEK624...
* What channel slot are you putting your test frequency into.
(In NORMAL it should take any channel slot, but if something is not right and it is still locked in GMRS mode... then it is programmed to only allow GMRS channels in 1-22 and repeater channels in 23-45 I think.) Above that it is listen only in GMRS.

* I assume you are trying to enter HAM frequencies since you have it in "NORMAL"  ?

* Can you also check your firmware version for me in setting 42?

What frequency are you trying to transmit to?

QUOTE From link below...
"The firmware and software can also be found on the TIDRADIO Support site which allows full operation in the frequency range of 136-174 and 400-520 MHz (and beyond). This range is also accessible by pressing PTT and * at PowerOn."

https://www.miklor.com/COM/Review_TDH3.php

1 hour ago, WSEK624 said:

I am in NORMAL mode. The frequencies of 2M and 70cm will receive but not transmit. I have entered them in channels 60-70. They will transmit in HAM mode but not NORMAL. Maybe it's a defective radio issue. 

Your radio is following the following regulation:

No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with the capabilities to operate in services that do not require equipment certification, such as the Amateur Radio Service.”

I was under the impression since the option of HAM, GRMS and NORMAL were available to choose from that the radio would fully operate on both in the NORMAL mode.

It's not really an issue as I have been a licensed HAM for many years and hold a GRMS license and the purpose of purchasing the radio was for GRMS. 

It really was more of an issue of "what am I doing wrong in my programming. Thanks for clarifying.

Strictly a GRMS radio it will be.

1 hour ago, WSEK624 said:

I was under the impression since the option of HAM, GRMS and NORMAL were available to choose from that the radio would fully operate on both in the NORMAL mode.

It's not really an issue as I have been a licensed HAM for many years and hold a GRMS license and the purpose of purchasing the radio was for GRMS. 

It really was more of an issue of "what am I doing wrong in my programming. Thanks for clarifying.

Strictly a GRMS radio it will be.

Back it up then change it to ham and see if it allows you to use GMRS frequencies.