Any experience with simplex repeaters like the Argent?

rzrbax

Question

I am considering getting a simplex repeater for my BTECH GMRS V1's for use in an off grid cabin/ land environment.  What do I need to know about them.   The nearest thing I have to compare to is the ZELLO cell phone app which I used on a trip to the Amazon.  It worked flawlessly, and yes they have internet on the Amazon river.  I could call my daughter's elementary classroom and describe the animals and plants there with ease.  As you know a simplex repeater records the rx'd signal and then retx's it on the same channel.  Sounds complicated, but Zello is a breeze to use.

Thanks,

Bill

WQYR910

KG5RGI

7 answers to this question

Well, and I write this never having used a simplex repeater, I don't think Zello (which I have used) is an applicable analogy). Zello works in real (or near real) time and retransmits the message directly to one or more people or groups.

A simplex repeater is more of a store and replay device. It records the input and then re-broadcasts the input back out on the input frequency.

Hope this helps and, hopefully someone with real experience will chip in.

I built a high powered one years ago to do some range testing. They can get a bit annoying to use for regular communication. Mine was PC based, I built the interface to a Motorola Raduis 40 watt mobile, and used Echo Station for the operations. You could trigger recorded messages with it, it would ID for you...etc. Good for testing range. 

I have heard them used for tactical type setups, usually with a PL on the input and none on the output. So you can use the simplex without PL at all if you want to go around the recording. These are also sometimes called "digi-peaters". 

from Part 95(a) section 29...

(B) For a mobile station, control station, or fixed station operated in the duplex mode, the following 467 MHz channels may be used only to transmit communications through a repeater station and for remotely controlling a repeater station. The licensee of the GMRS system must select the trans- mitting channels or channel pairs (see §95.7(a) of this part) for the stations operated in the duplex mode, from the following 467 MHz channels:

467.5500, 467.5750, 467.6000, 467.6250, 467.6500, 467.6750, 467.7000 and 467.7250.