Anytone AT-5888UV "MUTE"

WRXR374

Question

14 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, WRXR374 said:

One band of my radio says MUTE (#13 on page 9 of the manual, yes I'm reading!)

But that indicator is the only mention of MUTE, other than sub band muting, which I haven't touched. I don't know how MUTE got turned on or how to turn it off.

Squelch is at 2, not 20.

image.png.8f4cce56a7ae6698e196930cdc045111.png

1 hour ago, SteveShannon said:

image.png.8f4cce56a7ae6698e196930cdc045111.png

I've seen that.  I don't see how that's the answer... sub band muting is not (as far as I can tell) something that's enabled per band... if I transmit on either A or B, it'll mute the other channel.  There is a MUTE under both A and B.  MUTE is only on under B, and all the time, regardless of whether I'm transmitting or not.

Turning it off did make the MUTE go away, but that also means that if I'm transmitting and someone else transmits on the frequency the other band is tuned to, their sound will bleed into mine, and nobody wants that.

12 minutes ago, WRXR374 said:

I've seen that.  I don't see how that's the answer... sub band muting is not (as far as I can tell) something that's enabled per band... if I transmit on either A or B, it'll mute the other channel.  There is a MUTE under both A and B.  MUTE is only on under B, and all the time, regardless of whether I'm transmitting or not.

Turning it off did make the MUTE go away, but that also means that if I'm transmitting and someone else transmits on the frequency the other band is tuned to, their sound will bleed into mine, and nobody wants that.

That’s right; that’s what it does. You have two VFOs, A and B. Either can be the “main band.”  The other is the “Sub Band.”  If you don’t want to be interrupted by the Sub Band, you turn on Sub Band muting using one of the three options. If you choose RX/TX while in one band the other band will always say “Mute.”

9 minutes ago, SteveShannon said:

That’s right; that’s what it does. You have two VFOs, A and B. Either can be the “main band.”  The other is the “Sub Band.”  If you don’t want to be interrupted by the Sub Band, you turn on Sub Band muting using one of the three options. If you choose RX/TX while in one band the other band will always say “Mute.”

I'm not following.  No matter whether I'm on A or B, the one on the right (B?) is always muted.  Right now, I'm on TX, which I think is the default.  It worked fine until a couple of days ago.  The right/B? is unusable... I never hear anything from it.

Could the HM key have anything to do with this?  The manual says, "Long press it to enter dual watch of VFO channel and current channel".  I don't understand what that means, but "dual watch" sounds like it got turned off?

Just now, WRXR374 said:

Fair question.  I think I have it above 0.  I'll check.

I have accidentally done this with my icom 2730A, easy to forget when you usually use the controls on the mic and sound is still coming from one side. 
Similar but different I once forgot that I still had the programming cable in, which on my radio uses one of the two speaker ports and couldn’t figure out why there was no sound while bench testing. 🤦‍♂️ We all have those moments. 

3 hours ago, WRXR374 said:

I'm not following.  No matter whether I'm on A or B, the one on the right (B?) is always muted.  Right now, I'm on TX, which I think is the default.  It worked fine until a couple of days ago.  The right/B? is unusable... I never hear anything from it.

Could the HM key have anything to do with this?  The manual says, "Long press it to enter dual watch of VFO channel and current channel".  I don't understand what that means, but "dual watch" sounds like it got turned off?

Dual watch simply means both tuners are being monitored (watched).

On my radios if I turn off dual watch only one tuner is shown and heard. 

4 hours ago, WRXR374 said:

Apparently your radio always thinks that B is the sub-channel. Perhaps when dual watch is disabled that’s how it works?