Question about Tram 1410 / 1411 Antenna

WQWI871

Question

My problem is that when I check FAQs and look at different websites, the descriptions state different frequency ranges for the transmit (I get the receive part). I'm trying to figure out if this antenna transmits 6m and 10m, an addition to the the other frequencies I know it transmits. Some websites say yes, some say no only receive.

6 answers to this question

The Tram 1410 is a standard discone antenna.  It has no gain, but it will provide flat response coverage from 2 Meters through 930 MHz.  Yes, it can receive higher and lower, but it is truly only good for about 130-950 MHz.  Remember, it is broad-band and omni-directional, but has ZERO GAIN over a dipole.

The Tram 1411 adds an additional vertical element, giving it better receive in the 6 and 10 meter bands, but it doesn't transmit there well at all, don't be fooled.

In short, these are great scanner antennas, but are limited in usefulness as a transmitting antenna.

Disclaimer:  I am a Tram/Browning dealer.  I don't even bother to stock the 1411, because the 6, 10, and 11 meter, along with the 46-49MHz baby-monitor band transmit claims are totally bogus.  I don't sell them because I don't want upset customers.

Would you care to elaborate on the it doesn't transmit well part so I can differentiate opinions with detailed facts to help me decide on what to choose for my wants and needs? Because I'm often expected more from than my general expectations. And, I don't mean to seem blunt, but, although I understand your comment, it doesn't quite answer my initial post.

OK, let me make this more clear... NO. No, they will not transmit on 6 or 10 meters.  Not even the 1411.

According to the Tram manual, the 1411 will transmit on the 26 and 27 MHz band (CB), the 46 and 49 MHz bands (old cordless phones and baby monitors band), 72 MHz band (European 4 Meter band, and Russian FM broadcast band), and from 144-1290 MHz.  I still think the transmit top end should be 930, as they don't work on the 950-960 MHz broadcast link band... I've tried them there, and they don't work- terrible SWR.

So again, the 1410 is a great scanner antenna that works fairly well as a 2 meter, MURS, 1.25 Meter, 70 CM, GMRS, and 33 CM transmit antenna.  With the top element added (1411), it becomes an over-glorified, under-performing CB antenna, but it still WON'T do 6 or 10 meters on transmit.

If you are looking for a dual-band 6 and 10 meter base antenna, there is only 1 that I know of, and that would be the $250 Diamond CP610. 

If you are looking for a single antenna to cover all bands from DC to Daylight with perfectly flat SWR, and don't care about gain, then a dummy load is what you are looking for.

On 5/28/2017 at 2:12 PM, Jones said:

OK, let me make this more clear... NO. No, they will not transmit on 6 or 10 meters.  Not even the 1411.

According to the Tram manual, the 1411 will transmit on the 26 and 27 MHz band (CB), the 46 and 49 MHz bands (old cordless phones and baby monitors band), 72 MHz band (European 4 Meter band, and Russian FM broadcast band), and from 144-1290 MHz.  I still think the transmit top end should be 930, as they don't work on the 950-960 MHz broadcast link band... I've tried them there, and they don't work- terrible SWR.

So again, the 1410 is a great scanner antenna that works fairly well as a 2 meter, MURS, 1.25 Meter, 70 CM, GMRS, and 33 CM transmit antenna.  With the top element added (1411), it becomes an over-glorified, under-performing CB antenna, but it still WON'T do 6 or 10 meters on transmit.

If you are looking for a dual-band 6 and 10 meter base antenna, there is only 1 that I know of, and that would be the $250 Diamond CP610. 

If you are looking for a single antenna to cover all bands from DC to Daylight with perfectly flat SWR, and don't care about gain, then a dummy load is what you are looking for.

Dummy loads do not transmit but this antenna does. But I would recommend a tuner to use as is for 10 meter.

Transmits on 2m, 6m and 70cm and if you trim the 11m it transmits well on 10m but you lose 11m unless you use a GOOD antenna tuner I just use the CB portion with a tuner for 11m. Don't listen to the haters. They don't like that you can get a quad band for $80. They want you to spend more money. It is BEST though to have a separate antenna for each band though. Although I highly recommend a dual band antenna for 2m/70cm to split band. I use a TYT TH9800 daily on this antenna. Its why I bought it. 

WRUS664/ KF0KSX