Curious about Chirp fine squelch settings

WQWI871

I like a more sensitive receive, so, I generally set the squelch in Chirp to 10 on the Squelch 1 of my handhelds. Never thinking to go lower, I just figured that should be good and it always was. Recently I got a new Baofeng UV-82 and set everything the same as usual. I noticed I was getting clear receives on my UV5R's and BF-F9 while not receiving on my UV-82. I thought that was a little odd with the squelch set the same and just figured the squelch on the UV-82 wasn't as sensitive, so, I lowered it more. This time to 5. Of course I receive some transmissions, just a lot I don't. On 5, I noticed that still not getting some unless I open squelch. So, I set it to 1. I was missing a lot of transmissions this time even when I did open squelch all the way.  Even connected to my base antenna. Any ideas what's up? It's almost as if each time I lowered squelch, It's closing it.

I like a more sensitive receive, so, I generally set the squelch in Chirp to 10 on the Squelch 1 of my handhelds. Never thinking to go lower, I just figured that should be good and it always was. Recently I got a new Baofeng UV-82 and set everything the same as usual. I noticed I was getting clear receives on my UV5R's and BF-F9 while not receiving on my UV-82. I thought that was a little odd with the squelch set the same and just figured the squelch on the UV-82 wasn't as sensitive, so, I lowered it more. This time to 5. Of course I receive some transmissions, just a lot I don't. On 5, I noticed that still not getting some unless I open squelch. So, I set it to 1. I was missing a lot of transmissions this time even when I did open squelch all the way.  Even connected to my base antenna. Any ideas what's up? It's almost as if each time I lowered squelch, It's closing it.

Just an FYI here. I usually find my Baofeng's set to a squelch of 4 out of the box. I always reset mine to 1 and never look back. That brings in the weakest signals in my area with rarely any noise. My motorola's are also set to 1 and are extremely sensitive to weak signals without picking up the stray noise. 

My baofengs were all set to a squelch of 4 from stock. It's hard to explain, but, Chirp allows to fine tune squelch levels. For example, a squelch level of 1 is fine tuned to about a 25 sensitivity. So, although 1 is the lowest level (excluding 0), it won't actually have the most sensitivity without fine tuning the sensitivity in Chirp. I generally change the squelch level 1 to a 1 - 10 sensitivity. If that makes sense.