gmrs repeater

Wlorch11

Question

4 answers to this question

You could take your HAM exam and get a ticket. HAM's are famous for helping each other out. Lot's of knowledge and sometimes good manual labor. But you will need to engage in the social network. It takes time. Sure you can hire professional communications guys, but you will need deep pockets.

So here's what you are looking at from an average shop.

$50/ hr in travel charge

$100/hr tech time

$150/hr system tech time (things like testing repeater, checking for desense, tuning duplexer)

$200/hr engineering time (this will be the whole networking of the system)

Plus, material.

Then there is the whole networking aspect. IP? Link radios? Remember, hiring professional services means professional solutions so you'd be looking at NXU-2s and at a very minimum Ubiquiti PtP radios (assuming ISP connections are not available and LOS between sites is).

You're likely looking at $1500 to $2000 to setup the repeater at your home and another $3000-$6000 for getting everything networked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your address shows watervliet ny so I would start with the 2 local MSS Pittsfield and Wells. I believe both get over $75.00 an hour. Your not talking a cheap project as was stated above. Just a single repeater (depending on what you have) install could cost well over $1000. If you need equipment keep adding. Shops are in the business of making money as they should....

I vote getting your ham license and getting friendly with the local clubs. Here in SC we are an "odd bunch" as most of ham radio also got tied in with state agencies when my former VP was the ARRL coordinator, the South East Repeater Association president, etc... so then our own network (SCHEART) became its own "club" in a sense where volunteers are also given access to all our test equipment and software and cache radios. Then we got friendly with most of the clubs in the state. In essence... now the entire state gets along to the point that when (for instance) one of our local GMRS repeaters started going out... the owner found an MSF5000 and brought it to my station. I ended up programming it, aligning it, and putting it on the air just to kill some down time at work. You'll never know who you run into!