How is this antenna?

Guest The_Tony

Guest The_Tony

Hello guys,

Soon as I get my credit card points I'm going to register for a license. So right now I have a Baofeng BF-F8HP and I'm looking at this antenna ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XQ9H9OC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How would it hold up on gmrs? note that I'm in NYC and I can mount this on my AC unit which is 4 stories high or on top of my car when I'm out and about.

I'm open for other suggestions if you guys think it's crap. Thanks.

this is made for quick deployment in a rental car or for car to car. not bad for some use, notice the very thin coax. still with the ground plane of your bonnet, could improve your range dramatically. I would not use this on your window unit AC as there are better options if you have the access. I know that window AC unit's in NYC must be inspected. Depending on your floor, I would look for access on the roof and do a window drop, just like they do with satellite TV. 

On a side note, although I don't like being the pacifist, It's been noted from the staff regarding unauthorized used on frequencies with uncertified equipment, and, I'm just trying to follow the rules of the forum. With that said, the Baofeng BF-F8HP is not Part 95 certified to "transmit" legally with GMRS frequencies. I won't tell you what you can't do, but, for the sake of the community and forum, what you're not allowed to do. That is however, for transmitting; as I won't assume you plan on transmitting considering you didn't specify.

Guest The_Tony

this is made for quick deployment in a rental car or for car to car. not bad for some use, notice the very thin coax. still with the ground plane of your bonnet, could improve your range dramatically. I would not use this on your window unit AC as there are better options if you have the access. I know that window AC unit's in NYC must be inspected. Depending on your floor, I would look for access on the roof and do a window drop, just like they do with satellite TV. 

Sadly the landlord won't approve of roof access so I'm pretty limited on what I have as far as antennas. I mean if I can't get a good antenna for the house, I might as well get the best  I can get for the car. 

On a side note, although I don't like being the pacifist, It's been noted from the staff regarding unauthorized used on frequencies with uncertified equipment, and, I'm just trying to follow the rules of the forum. With that said, the Baofeng BF-F8HP is not Part 95 certified to "transmit" legally with GMRS frequencies. I won't tell you what you can't do, but, for the sake of the community and forum, what you're not allowed to do. That is however, for transmitting; as I won't assume you plan on transmitting considering you didn't specify.

Very true, and I plan on receiving only. 

I have a Nagoya UT-108 in the attic on some sheet metal to add polarization and a steady surface. It works fine for GMRS. The Nagoya UT-308 you mentioned should be fine at that location / height. I would advise inside on the air conditioning unit, instead of outside, if possible. Unless you could bring it inside when not in use or bad weather. I just wouldn't trust it in the weather for prolong use.

Guest The_Tony

I have a Nagoya UT-108 in the attic on some sheet metal to add polarization and a steady surface. It works fine for GMRS. The Nagoya UT-308 you mentioned should be fine at that location / height. I would advise inside on the air conditioning unit, instead of outside, if possible. Unless you could bring it inside when not in use or bad weather. I just wouldn't trust it in the weather for prolong use.

Thanks I'll try that out.

If you chose Direct TV or Dish for your TV service, your Landlord is required by law to either provide a coax with said satellite and service on the roof or another adequate location. This law also protects UHF/VHF TV antennas. Many persons install TV antennas, then replace them with radio specific antennas at a later date. The law is Access to communications Act. or something similar.

Guest The_Tony

If you chose Direct TV or Dish for your TV service, your Landlord is required by law to either provide a coax with said satellite and service on the roof or another adequate location. This law also protects UHF/VHF TV antennas. Many persons install TV antennas, then replace them with radio specific antennas at a later date. The law is Access to communications Act. or something similar.

I did not know this, I'll look into it. Thanks.