Bubble Pack Radios FRS/GMRS

MSensei

So, just from browsing the conversations here on the forums, I know this topic is going to open a can of worms... :-)

So, why did the FCC grant the ability for companies to manufacture, package, and sell combination FRS/GMRS radios - especially given the limitations of the broadcast wattage, fixed antenna, etc...  From my perspective, all the grant allows is for said companies to make money off of misinformation regarding their product.  It is completely true that if the devices are used in a completely clear and open space with no obstructions that you could potentially broadcast at the maximum range possible, however, there is no documentation that is provided to the "reality" of the actual operating parameters and expected range of the devices.

I'm not looking to make $ here, but isn't the advertising of products (such as the Uniden ones I have purchased) misleading which could be considered false advertising and as such warrant legal correction?  Not to mention the fact that the advertising also does not indicate that GMRS licensing is required for utilization of the GMRS frequencies and the sale of of such devices simply propegates the "illegal use" of such frequencies without a license?

Of course, you have to throw into play here the 2010 proposal to license GMRS by rule, which essentially negates all of the above, but it has been 3 years with no action on such proposal.  Then what? 

Say they accept the proposal next year to license by rule, do I get a partial refund of my license fee?  Highly doubt it. 

I guess I would lose my call sign as, there would be no need for them any longer. 

If licensed by rule would repeaters still be allowed, or would those require a license?

Thoughts?

It's not false advertising if they can substantiate their claim on the distance. Think about this, how far would they go on the water? The packaging also states "up to", which gives them wiggle room. As to the licensing, they can be used without a license on the FRS channels, but you have to read the documentation to know that. So I agree there is a shady side to that.

Guest spd641

So, just from browsing the conversations here on the forums, I know this topic is going to open a can of worms... :-)

So, why did the FCC grant the ability for companies to manufacture, package, and sell combination FRS/GMRS radios - especially given the limitations of the broadcast wattage, fixed antenna, etc...  From my perspective, all the grant allows is for said companies to make money off of misinformation regarding their product.  It is completely true that if the devices are used in a completely clear and open space with no obstructions that you could potentially broadcast at the maximum range possible, however, there is no documentation that is provided to the "reality" of the actual operating parameters and expected range of the devices.

I'm not looking to make $ here, but isn't the advertising of products (such as the Uniden ones I have purchased) misleading which could be considered false advertising and as such warrant legal correction?  Not to mention the fact that the advertising also does not indicate that GMRS licensing is required for utilization of the GMRS frequencies and the sale of of such devices simply propegates the "illegal use" of such frequencies without a license?

Of course, you have to throw into play here the 2010 proposal to license GMRS by rule, which essentially negates all of the above, but it has been 3 years with no action on such proposal.  Then what? 

Say they accept the proposal next year to license by rule, do I get a partial refund of my license fee?  Highly doubt it. 

I guess I would lose my call sign as, there would be no need for them any longer. 

If licensed by rule would repeaters still be allowed, or would those require a license?

Thoughts?

Good question,the facts is if they go license by rule you will not get any partial refund from the FCC.The only reason they let the bubble packs radios be produced in the first place is simple,all of the companies have lobbyist who line the pockets of our government and what thye say usually goes.I did notice on one comment on the proposed rule making where Motorola was against doing away with license and when they are against something it usually doesn't happen'

I believe with the time that has gone by GMRS is on a very long back burner and could care less what happens to us.I for one do not like the marketing hypes and claims of 35 mile range "under ideal conditions".I would have to see this to believe it and I do not think Motorola would go to the added expense to build a radio that is repeater capable if they knew the FCC was doing away with the license.I have look of different packages of combo radios and have found where it states a FCC license is required for operation.

I have been licensed for years and hear this all the time but until the times does come I will remain licensed but from different organizations popping up and getting a license for everyone in their group,I do not forsee it going away anytime some,you will still have the nay sayers who will defend every reason not to license and will pirate the system along with those who can't justify the cost when in reality if they laid off a steak dinner one weekend would cover the cost.

I also hear the same reasoning for getting a ham license where people say get a ham license it will not cost like GMRS does but I argue with them telling them a ham license does not cover but one person and not a family.I still can not get this through their thick heads the advantages of GMRS vs Ham when it comes to family use.

I do not and never have understood why people do not research and see for themselves what GMRS is really about.The general public has no clue that other radios exsist beside the bubble pack toys and it is hard to educate those type of people explaining to them the advantages it has to offer,so usually I give up and let it go.As for GMRS bubble pack activity in my area,it has dropped over the years as the new has worn off but if I do hear activity on the frequencies I will offer to educate them about this and have usually succeed in doing so...William

Slightly off topic...

As noted elsewhere, I have all commercial equipment except for one Cobra 4 watt "bubble pack" radio. I have it programmed for one GMRS frequency with a CTCSS that matches a simplex frequency in all my commercial radios.  It is used ONLY if I am at the scene of a traffic crash - to get info back to my family in the car who can relay info to 911 while I concentrate on assisting victims and reporting back as to severity of injuries, etc.  I hate having to use a cell phone personally in situations like this because victims are within hearing distance and can become more frightened if they hear someone on a cellphone giving details about injuries to 911 in plain English.  By using the Cobra simplex back to a family member in my car who is on 911, I can use the 10-CODE to get all the details relayed without having to speak in plain English right at the scene. My family members are all aware of the APCO code and the Ambulance Response Codes for response urgency. While many agencies are going over to plain English for "interoperability", it may be KINDER to victims to have responders use codes as before to keep victims more calm.

Guest spd641

PG,

Welcome back,sorry to say I had to fire the whole crew for being slackers and they wouldn't show up for work so I will dump it back in your lap once more...lol William

Thanks, William - I as so far up into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan that there were no cell towers for miles and definately no internet connections.

I was able to hit one cell tower over the border in Ontario, but from past experience, I'm not going to pay 'international' rates.

Glad that everything here went well last week and thank you for the additional time here.

P-G

======

Guest spd641

I want to add something here,I was looking over some different hand held radios and I have chosen the ICOM IC-F21 as one of my favorites.These radios have several different functions and features one of which I like is the 2 tone activation when used with say a ICOM F221 mobile you can have the hand held in silent mode and program the mobile button to send out a 2 tone enconder signal like the fire depts use.

When the F21 receives the tones it will sound a audible alert along with a visual alert to let you know someone at you base location is trying to reach you and another note the f21 hand held can be programmed the same way so you can hit one button on those and signal another user with a F21.

This radio is out of production but I find several on eBay and other websites,so are new old stock some are used but IMO opinion these are some of the best and are easy to program.Just my thoughts on the matter and if anyone buys one and wishes to have it programmed let me know I would be glad to help you out...William