Hello Everyone

PB92

Thank you Hans and hello.....I have been a CB'er for 30+ years, running custom built high end radios. I'm also a prepper, and the GMRS format works well for that. Huge fan of redundancy, so I have the Midland MXT100 Micro Mobile as a GMRS backup.....along with other electronics in the EMP can.   

• 1 month later...

Hi Matt,

Soo sorry it took so long to get back. Only a few weeks into GMRS. Learning. I really like the GMRS format. I love this MXT400! It's mounted in my P71 Interceptor below my highly custom Cobra 29LX CB on a custom made bracket. I'll take a picture of the setup and try to post it here.

I'm still learning the 400. The speaker on the top of the radio is very clear and loud for its size. The display is nice, and I like the mic with the ability to change channels. There is a small slide button on the side of the mic, and when you slide it up it locks the channel change buttons. Nice feature.  Trying now to learn how to link up the 400 to local repeaters here in CT, see which ones are public or private.

I have been on ch20, there seems to be chatter around here on it. But so far I'm very very happy with it. 73....

So here's what happened today. I get out of work, start the car, turn on the radios (Cobra 29LX and the MXT400).......I hear some chatter on the 400 on channel 20, then this guy comes on, gives his call sign, then his location.

Normal right, but his said "San Diego.....CA???? That's 2,857 miles from my location. Sitting in my car.

I didn't know the range even with repeaters was that far. Now, when I "shoot skip" on my Cobra 29LX, I can hear GA, FL, LA, Indiana, and sometimes I can actually talk to a truck stop in Indiana from East Haven, CT.

Was that guy in CA "shooting skip", or was his transmission jumping through repeaters. Either way I'm impressed. 73.

Welcome to the hobby, sorry for my delayed welcome!. 

I saw it said on your profile "Interests: Fast V8 Fords" First thing that came to my head was a CVPI haha, those things are awesome! I was gonna ask but you've already confirmed that in this thread. 

Again, welcome! 

Hi Durake,

Yes, I do have a CVPI. Its actually one of my hobbies. I think I know these cars almost as well as the dealer does. Ofcourse, my idea of a "car" is a V8 in front and an axle in the back.............it's my daily driver and prepper vehicle. I have it setup to be a 4000 lb generator when the grid goes down here........and it does.

...Was that guy in CA "shooting skip", or was his transmission jumping through repeaters. Either way I'm impressed. 73.

Nope, there is no skip on UHF, strictly LOS (Line Of Sight), with maybe a little bouncing off of good reflectors. It was most likely a case of repeaters being linked, probably over the Intenet. It is possible to create long chains of repeaters using radio links, but outside the ham bands that is not too common.

Hey Berkinet,

I wasn't sure about the skip with UHF. Somewhat common on CB, depends on the ionosphere as such.  His transmission was clear no static or white noise or anything, like he was just a couple blocks away. Very impressive considering the mountains out west.

I guess I consider myself lucky then..........

... His transmission was clear no static or white noise or anything, like he was just a couple blocks away. Very impressive considering the mountains out west...

GMRS is FM and so more likely to avoid the noise problems assosciated with AM services, like CB, especially CB in SSB mode.

As for the mountains, the effect of elevation on IP packets is greatly overstated.

That thought did cross my mind that perhaps the San Diego operator was 'blowing smoke"........but on the other hand I do get raised eyebrows when I say I can hear FL, GA, and such on skip and actually talk to Indiana on my CB...........

I tell CBers once you get a good radio tech that knows what he's doing as I have and builds the radio right, and a well matched antenna, you can do quite a lot.   

I tell CBers once you get a good radio tech that knows what he's doing as I have and builds the radio right, and a well matched antenna, you can do quite a lot.

That is very true. There is a tremendous difference in the propagation characteristics of AM versus FM though.

I well remember how things were in the early sixties when I could make transcontinental contacts from Fairfax, Virginia to the West Coast...

...with a 100mW portable with a "long wire antenna" clipped to the telescoping whip with an alligator clip! :)

Yes the airwaves open up for UHF sometimes as well, especially with a very high antenna. a few years back from 12floor condo balcony I was hearing repeaters from Orlando, Land O lakes and Tampa areas. over 100miles away. Later that day I listened on our local net and everyone was astonished by the opening on many Ham bands as well as UHF.

Well, I heard today on ch20 what sounded like Morse Code. I do not know Morse Code per se but it sure sounded like it. And that's all I heard, 4 to 5 times...........no other transmission.

???

462.675 is a repeater output so you were likely hearing a repeater identify.

Yes the airwaves open up for UHF sometimes as well, especially with a very high antenna. a few years back from 12floor condo balcony I was hearing repeaters from Orlando, Land O lakes and Tampa areas. over 100miles away. Later that day I listened on our local net and everyone was astonished by the opening on many Ham bands as well as UHF.

Last year I was on the SARNet (FL statewide repeater linked network, mostly 440) during a net and was receiving from a ton of repeaters. One ham checked into the Jacksonville repeater from Ft Myers, around a 300 mile hike.