TK880 displays "yyyyyyy"

WRAK968

Question

Hey everyone,

So, I recently picked up a Kenwood TK880. I've heard quite a few good things about these radios, however when I powered it up for the first time, it displayed Ver: 1.5209, beeped, then showed yyyyyyy

From research, I learned this is likely a firmware issue in that it should be Ver2.xxxx as per the sticker, but was flashed to Ver 1.5xxx for passport use. Does anyone know how to obtain the FPro software and Ver2 firmware?

1 hour ago, crmaxey said:

Did you ever figure out the problem? Bought the same radio/cable/software and loaded the firmware now it won't connect  thought it was the cable ordered another (FTDI ) 

Start with steps outlined in Service Manual (http://www.repeater-builder.com/kenwood/pdfs/tk-880h-svc-man.pdf), Page 16. Basically, make sure that your COM port number is correct and KPG-49D and radio operate on the same serial port speed. The default should be 57600.

Read the posts from WRAK968 in this thread to determine if you need to reflash the firmware.

Remember, that firmware for v 1.0 and 2.0 are NOT interchangeable.

On 10/8/2021 at 3:26 PM, MichaelLAX said:

And why do people keep buying these radios?!?

How can I make my Anytone AT-779UV show "yyyyyyy" ?

Because generally speaking they work quite well.  I have 4 or 5 between the 880 and 8180 and have had an issue with only one.   Well, not counting the one I fried after tearing the antenna off my SxS. ?

On 10/8/2021 at 6:47 PM, axorlov said:

Start with steps outlined in Service Manual (http://www.repeater-builder.com/kenwood/pdfs/tk-880h-svc-man.pdf), Page 16. Basically, make sure that your COM port number is correct and KPG-49D and radio operate on the same serial port speed. The default should be 57600.

Read the posts from WRAK968 in this thread to determine if you need to reflash the firmware.

Remember, that firmware for v 1.0 and 2.0 are NOT interchangeable.

May have jumped the gun? When i go the radio it wouldn't go into program mode it had a program password.  I uploaded a new dat file for the gmrs channels it loaded fine then allowed me to enter program mode. uploaded firmware, because of message some items wouldn't work.. at first thought i might have loaded wrong firmware KT-880-1 V2.0 but I'm pretty sure at this point I loaded the right firmware..  the radio comes on displays channel 1  in program mode displays 57600 baud rate firmware sum= OADE. 

NOW front panel buttons do nothing but beep? figured i messed something up in data file. Made a few changes the one I question is front panel programing?  Anyway now the radio will not reconnect to programing cable says check connections and comport. that all shows fine. checked drivers comports everything i know ordered FTDI cable and same message check connections and comport.. will not connect ?

What about the label on the back of your radio? Does it say "Ver 2.0" like here:

tk-880-1.png

If not, you have unversioned, or what is called "Ver 1.0" radio. The latest firmware for Ver 2.0 is E613, that's what I run in my radios. The latest for Ver 1.0 is E4B3. I have both firmwares (although I only have 2.0 radios). If you PM me with your email, I can send them to you.

So, if I read you posts correctly, you can upload firmware with FPro when turn on the radio with the SCN down, correct? If yes, your cable and port are fine.

16 hours ago, axorlov said:

What about the label on the back of your radio? Does it say "Ver 2.0" like here:

tk-880-1.png

If not, you have unversioned, or what is called "Ver 1.0" radio. The latest firmware for Ver 2.0 is E613, that's what I run in my radios. The latest for Ver 1.0 is E4B3. I have both firmwares (although I only have 2.0 radios). If you PM me with your email, I can send them to you.

So, if I read you posts correctly, you can upload firmware with FPro when turn on the radio with the SCN down, correct? If yes, your cable and port are fine.

Yep TK-880-1  V2 same as above.. used  FPro to upload. SCN down then power to enter program mode  and using Ftdi cable.. I have booth versions of firmware sum=  OADE..  At this point I think the radio has issues does not make sense.. The firm ware I installed is (V 208-OADE)  

sure if I can ever get cable to connect    I apricate it!

Txt file that was with firmware:

TK-280, TK-380, TK-780, TK-880, TK-980, TK-981, TK-480, TK-481 V2
Checksum:
0ADE
Version: 028
SN: B13XXXXX

1. TK-981 Added compatibility of new and old PLL IC’s

2. TK-981 Improved TOT function

I realize that this is an older thread, but I've been playing around with a few TK880's (2 are V1 and 1 is V 2.0)  I just recently got the V2, programmed it and worked good for a few days, then I got the yyyyyyy screen. Reprogrammed it again and it was good. I noticed the display was brighter than my other 2 radios, so I swapped it to on of the better radios (the V2 was in bad shape, as far as crud on the PC board)

Was an easy swap and all was good, but then the V1 that I put the brighter display in got the yyyyyy screen. I then swapped the screens back and that is when I realized that it wasn't the radio causing it, but it was the display itself and the yyyyy display showed up on the previous good radio and the bad radio that was showing yyyyy was now fine

The V 2.0 radio was also showing VER: 1.5205 but that too follows the screen and nothing to do with the radio as it also was showing that when I had that screen in the other radio. How is that possible?

I still haven't found a way to fix that V 2.0 radio and the yyyyy. When I bought the radio, it was SUPPOSED to be the 880H but seller sent wrong radio so he refunded my money and let me keep the radio. I'd be a little more upset if it was the 880H and I put money out on it. BTW, still looking for an 880H

When you are talking about swapping the display, are you swapping only the display or the whole front panel? The brains of the TK880 is on this panel. All the settings, calibration, firmware, etc.. The stuff in the big box is mostly the actual radio components, as opposed to electronics/microcontroller components.

7 hours ago, axorlov said:

When you are talking about swapping the display, are you swapping only the display or the whole front panel? The brains of the TK880 is on this panel. All the settings, calibration, firmware, etc.. The stuff in the big box is mostly the actual radio components, as opposed to electronics/microcontroller components.

Yes, the entire front panel. Just two screws and the ribbon cable.  Sorry for not being more specific. I'm kind of surprised that all of that stuff is on that small PC board. Still confusing though. So my 2.0 radio itself is ok, it's the front panel that has the problems. So the radio box is the same between versions, just the display panels are different? 

11 hours ago, Flameout said:

I realize that this is an older thread, but I've been playing around with a few TK880's (2 are V1 and 1 is V 2.0)  I just recently got the V2, programmed it and worked good for a few days, then I got the yyyyyyy screen. Reprogrammed it again and it was good. I noticed the display was brighter than my other 2 radios, so I swapped it to on of the better radios (the V2 was in bad shape, as far as crud on the PC board)

Was an easy swap and all was good, but then the V1 that I put the brighter display in got the yyyyyy screen. I then swapped the screens back and that is when I realized that it wasn't the radio causing it, but it was the display itself and the yyyyy display showed up on the previous good radio and the bad radio that was showing yyyyy was now fine

The V 2.0 radio was also showing VER: 1.5205 but that too follows the screen and nothing to do with the radio as it also was showing that when I had that screen in the other radio. How is that possible?

I still haven't found a way to fix that V 2.0 radio and the yyyyy. When I bought the radio, it was SUPPOSED to be the 880H but seller sent wrong radio so he refunded my money and let me keep the radio. I'd be a little more upset if it was the 880H and I put money out on it. BTW, still looking for an 880H

Do you have the service manual for the radios? Manufactures can and do change versions because of hardware design changes. That could apply to the display too. You simply might have a different, electrically, LCD display verses the other radio where they are not compatible. The service manual might show the differences.

6 hours ago, Lscott said:

Manufactures can and do change versions because of hardware design changes

Indeed, all the time. My company does (not radio, some computer components). TK-880 has it's controlling chip on the front panel PCB. I would not be surprised if the radio components between v1.0 and v2.0 are identical, with the differences is only on this front panel PCB and the firmware.

But, I would not assume, that swapping front panel is a good idea, since there are some presets stored in the non-volatile memory of the controller chip.

18 hours ago, Flameout said:

The V 2.0 radio was also showing VER: 1.5205

So, your problem is a PassPort firmware on your TK-880 v2.0. This is exactly the problem discussed in this thread. Do you have zip-file with the latest Kenwood firmware? If not, send me your email address via PM, I'll send you the firmware.

7 hours ago, Lscott said:

Do you have the service manual for the radios? Manufactures can and do change versions because of hardware design changes. That could apply to the display too. You simply might have a different, electrically, LCD display verses the other radio where they are not compatible. The service manual might show the differences.

No, but I'm sure I'll be able to find it. I'll do some searching now. Thanks

Axorlov, I don't have that firmware file. Reading through the thread, I believe it is E613.zip right?  I haven't had any luck finding it. Right now I have that V 2.0 radio set up as a Rx only in a makeshift repeater system that I made using 2 TK880's and so far it has been acting ok. No yyyyy screen, but my email is my username at gmail