TK880 displays "yyyyyyy"

WRAK968

Question

Hey everyone,

So, I recently picked up a Kenwood TK880. I've heard quite a few good things about these radios, however when I powered it up for the first time, it displayed Ver: 1.5209, beeped, then showed yyyyyyy

From research, I learned this is likely a firmware issue in that it should be Ver2.xxxx as per the sticker, but was flashed to Ver 1.5xxx for passport use. Does anyone know how to obtain the FPro software and Ver2 firmware?

Hey everyone,

So, I recently picked up a Kenwood TK880. I've heard quite a few good things about these radios, however when I powered it up for the first time, it displayed Ver: 1.5209, beeped, then showed yyyyyyy

From research, I learned this is likely a firmware issue in that it should be Ver2.xxxx as per the sticker, but was flashed to Ver 1.5xxx for passport use. Does anyone know how to obtain the FPro software and Ver2 firmware?

I have the same problem suddenly.  Powered up several times with no issue then today (installed 2 days ago) powered up normally with "Y04HFU".  Tested simplex with HT and it worked great.  Powered down, then back up to test repeater between 880 and HT.  Display came up "yyyyyy" as described above.  I see here that the OP resolved his issue with an upload but I'm not seeing details on where you got the firmware, etc. 

I should have the correct cable in my mailbox right now and have downloaded 49D software.  Is that what I need or is there more to it?

Details appreciated.  And it's fine to talk to me as if I'm green.. because I am.

So, do you have KPG-49D software and cable? Can software talk to the radio?

Since I only had it a week I called used radios, got an RMA and sent it back.  Hopefully, they'll get it right this time.  I mentioned what was discussed here but all he said was it was usually due to corruption, nothing about the details here.  If they can't get it right they'll replace with another 880.

But, yes, I got the software last week and the cable yesterday so can mess with it if I have to later.  Rather not tho'.

For the "Ver 2.0" of the radio,you are looking for a file called E613.zip. It has the latest firmware for the TK-880 and TK-880-H. The MD5 checksum of the E613.zip is: ad6b253bff6f04d424538b5eb8cdaf83.The MD5 of the T780K_18.hex inside is:  d62f3b4f5ad5dbfbf1442c7a576ab513. The fpro.exe should be a part of your KPG49D install. I do not remember how to use it, it was years ago, but it was very straightforward.

The YYYYYYYY message is usually due to passport trunking firmware being installed in the radio. While the 49D will reload all of the kenwood software features it does not replace the firmware which causes confusion within the radios programming. The easy way of determining if passport is the culprit is to power up the radio and see if it says Ver. 1.5xxx.

FPro comes with the 49D software though you do need to locate it in the program folder. As Mygmrs does not allow the upload/download of firmware or programing files, anyone who needs the newest firmware should PM me with the following info:

E-mail address to send the firmware file to,
Version number of the radio (Check the SN label. If you see Ver. 2.0 then its a version 2 radio, if not its version 1. This is important as Ver. 2 firmwae doesnt play nice with Ver. 1 radios and vice versa)

I am glad that I am not the only one struggling with a TK-880! I purchased one from Ebay and I have not had any luck getting the KPG-49D software (ver. 4.20) to access the radio. When I turn it on it quickly displays VER: 1.5164 (Passport firmware?) then displays CH   1. I cannot get it into programming mode from the panel and the KPG-49D. I get an error message that says "Please check connection and communication port setting". The power switch, volume buttons and the monitor button work but nothing else. 

I have not found a way to do a hard reset or unlock the radio. It is a TK-880-1 Ver 2.0 according to the tag. Frustrating to say the least. Ham radios have been a piece of cake in comparison.

I am glad that I am not the only one struggling with a TK-880! I purchased one from Ebay and I have not had any luck getting the KPG-49D software (ver. 4.20) to access the radio. When I turn it on it quickly displays VER: 1.5164 (Passport firmware?) then displays CH   1. I cannot get it into programming mode from the panel and the KPG-49D. I get an error message that says "Please check connection and communication port setting". The power switch, volume buttons and the monitor button work but nothing else. 

I have not found a way to do a hard reset or unlock the radio. It is a TK-880-1 Ver 2.0 according to the tag. Frustrating to say the least. Ham radios have been a piece of cake in comparison.

I got 2 of these from eBay that have the exact same issue. They both have the same modifications for some digital in-out port on the back.  I just set them aside for now.  If I ever figure out what has been modified on these, and get it returned to normal, I'll post details here.

I got 2 of these from eBay that have the exact same issue. They both have the same modifications for some digital in-out port on the back.  I just set them aside for now.  If I ever figure out what has been modified on these, and get it returned to normal, I'll post details here.

Interesting. Mine does not have the digital in-out port on the back. I think that may be for Fleetsync. I am working figuring this out today, and then I will put it aside for a while. If I do get this fixed I will be happy to share the solution.

Regards,

That is actually normal for Kenwood radios. The TK880 has 3 option kits for computer control, messaging, and vehicle interface depending on what the radios were used for. The wires simply connect to a series of pins on the board and can easily be removed with a pull (no soldering required) For GMRS function you can remove the wires to "clean things up"

That is actually normal for Kenwood radios. The TK880 has 3 option kits for computer control, messaging, and vehicle interface depending on what the radios were used for. The wires simply connect to a series of pins on the board and can easily be removed with a pull (no soldering required) For GMRS function you can remove the wires to "clean things up"

On the ones I got, it isn't just a simple matter of unpluging the AUX cables from the header connectors on the board.  Mine have a couple of wires that have been cut from the plugs, had extension wires soldered on to them, and they run up into the head-shell and solder onto points on the control PC board.  There are also other wires that seem to have been cut/spliced inside the radio that go to the AUX connector, and there is an adapter (might be custom-crafted) that plugs into the AUX connector, and goes to a DB-15 socket.  I think I was on email with you before about these, and I just set them to the side.  If you still have my email, let's start back up a conversation.  I may just ship these to you so you can take a look.

Thanks to user axorlov I was able to get past the issue I was having but ended up with having a new issue. Neither of my oem mics are working with either of my radios, possible that both mics are bad. Got another one coming in the mail from ebay to try. They will both key up the radio but no audio is transmitting.

Thanks to user axorlov I was able to get past the issue I was having but ended up with having a new issue. Neither of my oem mics are working with either of my radios, possible that both mics are bad. Got another one coming in the mail from ebay to try. They will both key up the radio but no audio is transmitting.

Log back into the radio with the software, and make sure your front panel mic jack routing is set up to use the front audio input on front PTT, and that it is set for microphone, and not data input.  I forget where this is off the top of my head, but it is in one of the option screens.

What Jones said, and also, how do you know that no audio is transmitted? What is your test setup? Power supply? What antenna connected, how it is mounted? What do you use to listen? Check and recheck PL/DPL settings on transmitting and receiving radios.

If you simply listen to HT that is sitting on the same bench with 880 connected to antenna, it is very likely that your HT is overloaded. Ask somebody to walk away 300ft with this HT and repeat the test.

Setup: Duracomm 14amp power supply, ed fong gmrs antenna approx 12ft high on roof mounted to vent pipe, 50 ft of rg8x. I had a midland mxt275 running through this setup already with no problems

Test: requested radio checks through the linked net, I can hear the repeater tone after rx. One of the mics is a dtmf and tones come through fine. Also tried simplex to handheld with no luck. Also tried monitoring using mygmrs.com homepage live stream web link to repeater network.

Tested: I have a tk880-1 ver2.0, a tk880-1h ver1, a kmc27, a kmc28, 3 mic cables (2 aftermarket, 1 oem) I swapped back over to the mxt275 and it still works just fine.

Will go back into programming and check everything again, I'm pretty new to all of this so I may have messed up somewhere. New mic should be arriving today from ebay to try as well.

Setup: Duracomm 14amp power supply, ed fong gmrs antenna approx 12ft high on roof mounted to vent pipe, 50 ft of rg8x. I had a midland mxt275 running through this setup already with no problems

Test: requested radio checks through the linked net, I can hear the repeater tone after rx. One of the mics is a dtmf and tones come through fine. Also tried simplex to handheld with no luck. Also tried monitoring using mygmrs.com homepage live stream web link to repeater network.

Tested: I have a tk880-1 ver2.0, a tk880-1h ver1, a kmc27, a kmc28, 3 mic cables (2 aftermarket, 1 oem) I swapped back over to the mxt275 and it still works just fine.

Will go back into programming and check everything again, I'm pretty new to all of this so I may have messed up somewhere. New mic should be arriving today from ebay to try as well.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:27 PM, Rickard said:

Did you ever figure out the problem? Bought the same radio/cable/software and loaded the firmware now it won't connect  thought it was the cable ordered another (FTDI ) 

31 minutes ago, Extreme said:

It's likely "Passport" software and will require a firmware update.  I'm in the process of doing the same thing for an 8180.

I wish it was that easy.. programming cable will shows no connection in KPG 49D software.. fpro runs but radio does nothing.. comport is fine..    Just received new program cable and same thing.. going to try reinstalling software? Don't know what else to try..  Thanks