Old Part 90 Radios Predating MURS Service Legal Use?

I've looked around but can't find any hard info for old Part 90 radios that are legal to use for MURS. For example I have a TK-270G HT purchased at the Dayton Hamvention. The FCC ID is ALH29463110. The grant is dated 10/25/1999 which is before the creation of the MURS service in 2000. If I read the rules and understand them it should be OK as long as the radio is programed to conform to the rules. Anybody else have a source for info on this topic?

TK-270G-1 FCC - OET EAS Form 731 Grant of Equipment Authorization.pdf

I may be off base here, so I hope someone with more facts steps in, but...

The way I understand it, the old Part 90 VHF handheld radios can only be used on MURS channel 4, (AKA Blue Dot - 154.570 MHz) and channel 5, (AKA Green Dot - 154.600 MHz, AKA Wal-Mart Channel) which are grandfathered in as "Wide-Band" 20KHz channels.

MURS Channels 1-3 are narrow band only, thus older wide-band VHF part 90 rigs are a no-go.

The only other business service frequency that is still authorized for wide band part-90 radios is the "Red Dot" channel, 151.625MHz, which is not MURS.

Staff Disclaimer: The following information is for reference only and may or may not apply to all situations.

In post # 1 above, the Kenwood Model TK-270G was mentioned.   The "G" in the model number is the newer version of the original and the "G" also refers to the radio's ability to be programmed for Wideband AND Narrowband - 16KØF3E / 11KØF3E.

FCC Certified for parts 22, 74, 90, 90.210  ( FCC ID - ALH29463110  for the 150 to 174 mhz  type-1 radios )

This "G" version has been successfully used for many years nationwide on ALL of the MURS frequencies under the same implied technical compliance stipulations and standards that Part 90 equipment has been used in Part 95 GMRS service. The two watt MURS power output limit as well as the wideband or narrowband programming per channel must be met for MURS operation using the TK-270G.

Please note that the UHF version for the same vintage TK-370G  is Type Certified for Part 95 GMRS. 

PastorGary,

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the radio was legal to use on MURS. There isn't a definitive clearly stated policy from the FCC I could find that states any Part 90 radio with a grant date before the creation of the radio service MURS or GMRS would be legal to use with the right programming to comply with the rules. That seems to be implied in the rules for the service in question.  

A bit off topic but I also have the older TK-370, not the "G" version, programed for GMRS. It has only 32 channels and wide band only. The radio has an FCC grant for Part 95, FCC ID ALHTK-370-1. I have it programed for the 22 GMRS simplex channels and  8 more for repeaters use leaving two spare. The FRS channels are programmed for RX only, 8 to 14, since they are narrow band only. The audio volume will be low but usable.

The only issue with that radio is the antenna connector is the Motorola MX type. I think the newer one uses the same reverse SMA antenna connector as the TK-270G and the Chinese radios. I found an adapter that will convert from MX to female BNC for using an external antenna.

FCC Grant TK-370-1.pdf

Did a quick search, but there doesn't seem to be an MX to SMA male adapter configured for what you wish to do... at least I didn't see any through my normal sources.

MX to BNC is fine, but the issue with BNC, since it was first designed in the early 1950's, is that any friction on the rotating portion of the connector can possibly loosen it and it will loose connection or loose an entire antenna. It was for that reason that Kenwood and quite a few other manufacturers went to SMA, not only to prevent loss or open connections, but for interchangeability.

• 10 months later...

Yet even today multi-thousand dollar service monitors still use BNC almost exclusively... ;)

Thats because they are a true 50 ohm connector and have the ability to be attached without multiple turns of a test probe lead or other cable. They are ok for stationary type, semi permanent useage but even then can be sketchy.

BNC use on a portable radio is a poor choice as every wobble and flexing of the antenna contributes to it's loosening by physically stretching the outside securing ring. They are also virtually impossible to waterproof and have poor physical strength overall compared to the newer types of connectors used on most every portable these days.

To my understanding, businesses can continue to use their existing business authorizations on any authorized with Part 90 equipment as if their license were never altered, and *all* unlicensed users must use Part 95 equipment. The language on what constitutes a grandfathered station is poorly written, but a Part 90 authorization for what is now a MURS station is required. Such licenses are uncommon now, eince nearly 20 years have passed since such a license could be obtained.

No exemption is referenced in 95.335 for MURS, so I would not expect business equipment to be permissibly used in MURS.

[edit] MURS is licensed by rule, like FRS and CBRS. If there's no type-certification, there's no rule for it to be licensed by. This is well-established in CBRS.