had some fun yesterday

JohnE

people always ask if I'm afraid of falling, I tell them its not the fall its the sudden stop at the bottom thats the problem.

most fail to see the humor in that though.

aside from falling the worst thing that could happen is getting knocked out while strapped in.

all kidding aside its a 38' free standing tower pretty well mounted and if I'm not comfortable I won't climb it. I refused to climb one once and it didn't go well for the guy who did. from what I heard he walked away ok but was shaken up pretty good.

worked on this Monday. forgot to take the camera up w/me. I forgot how tiring it can be working on these types of towers. 2 hrs to go up fix and come down and I was only about half way up, maybe a little more. if it goes bad again we'll change the cable.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/rftekk/misc/radio008.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/rftekk/misc/radio009.jpg

That brings up a point -

Does anyone reading this thread have a Home Owner's Association or any local government regulations concerning towers and antennas?  I was given some info recently that "The Villages" in Florida is so restrictive on yard based extras that you have to get permission to paint your mailbox.

It would be interesting to see which forum member residential areas have NON-FCC and NON-FAA restrictions. 

[if there are significant replies, I'll move everything into a separate discussion.]

Thanks...

My wife actually does have a fear of clowns. I tease her about it sometimes, all in fun of course.

Jeremy,

I bet your wife doesn't get out much with her fear of clowns.It seems every time I get out on the road I run into a entourage of them driving down the highway.it makes me fear them also. :lol:...William

• 2 years later...

That brings up a point -

Does anyone reading this thread have a Home Owner's Association or any local government regulations concerning towers and antennas?  I was given some info recently that "The Villages" in Florida is so restrictive on yard based extras that you have to get permission to paint your mailbox.

It would be interesting to see which forum member residential areas have NON-FCC and NON-FAA restrictions. 

[if there are significant replies, I'll move everything into a separate discussion.]

Thanks...

I know all to well about HOA restrictions, we cant even put a dish up.  I own a condo and bought on the second floor just to have access to the attic. I have My DB404-B UHF, TRAM 1487 VHF and a wide band scanner antenna feeding 4 scanners all tucked in the attic. I got a little crazy and ran 1/2 had line to them to reduce any interference. I am super happy with the performance of all 3, UHF i can work repeaters 50 miles away, VHF covers the entire city on MURS and my scanner covers 2 states. Don't let the HOA stop you i didn't!!

cable.jpg

I am happy to live in a voluntary HOA, We still employed an attorney for out 55' tower install. Turns out federal law protects any one that lives in an HOA,  Access to effective communications is protected by the FCC. You can not be forced to buy cable if you wish to access satellite TV signals or use an old timer TV antenna. A reasonable accommodation must be made.  Federal law protects standard TV antennas, Radio FM antennas, HAM radio and 2way radio antennas. as well as satellite antennas. As I read the law, some HOA's have offered your choice over per-existing coax to prevent members from installing said antennas. The last condo I lived in, offered, MAST TV, direct and dish as well as ATT u-verse. I still installed my UHF yagi on a cinder-block on my balcony for my radio. Many property managers are not aware of these laws and even when they are, they lie and tell home owners that it does not apply to them because they signed the contract. That is totally false.