Btech Gmrs-v1

kidphc

Question

24 answers to this question

Thanks for the info on the power setting.

Found the following issues. However, I am not sure if it is Chirp or because of the way the radio is set.

-Unable to set "Duplex" offset. It won't save it + or -.

---- Doesn't even record it as saved if you close the file and reload it.

-Scan skip. Shows saved but doesn't actually skip the channel. Ie. NOAA

Any one else find any issues with programming.

New Update.

-My Manuals does not have the power rating info in the manual.

--I can receive and send through GMRS channel 8 (467.562) which should be restricted, since max power rating should be 0.5w on GMRS and FRS. Even after the revisions by the FCC.

-Talking to Btech support the radio is crippled after the "hard-loaded" channels 1-30. So you can not create a custom memory slot and preconfigure a duplex repeater to it. Since there is no way to set the offset. You are going to have to manual (on the fly) add any tones to the "hard-loaded" memory slot. 

"Transmitting channels are hard-loaded (1-30); tones can be adjusted on the fly - but any additional channels added (0, 31-128) would be for receive only"

Net essence a big "F" you if you have a repeater on a non-standard deviated pair of frequencies. Not like that happens often.

Slight difference from earlier version which were locked to channels 0-23.

Firmware Version USG2418

Serial Last 4# 2483

I am not sure what you exactly are trying to get at.

The FCC rules say the GMRS radios have to have the frequencies hard coded. So you can't modify the TX frequencies in a GMRS radio or the FCC won't certify it.

Not hard to change the tones on the fly though. Menu, 11 or 13. Enter the tone, then menu to save.

The bottom line is the GMRS radios are not supposed to be for tinkering. It supposed to be for a family to grab a radio for each family member and go.

Menu 2 allows you to set the transmit power. I am sure 8-14 are locked at .5w regardless of if you put it on high power or not. GMRS allows channels 8-14, but still limited to .5w.

Also, I looked in my manual, and can't find the power levels. But it was published in 2016 and is not 100 percent accurate for the new radios. The manual version to download online has the post 2017 channels accurately displayed and the power levels.

I made the mistake in hoping that the radio could be programmed with the repeaters and their tones. It was a mistake on my part, realizing now that yes you can program the repeaters but can't have presets on the other memory slots. Bit hard to program while driving, nor would I want to. Kinda a moot point.

With the power levels, I was hoping that the information was actually listed in the manuals that came with the radios. However, My manual (radio is less then a week old) didn't mention anything about the ability to change the power levels. Not that makes much difference since I will be messing with it.

I made the mistake in hoping that the radio could be programmed with the repeaters and their tones. It was a mistake on my part, realizing now that yes you can program the repeaters but can't have presets on the other memory slots. Bit hard to program while driving, nor would I want to. Kinda a moot point.

With the power levels, I was hoping that the information was actually listed in the manuals that came with the radios. However, My manual (radio is less then a week old) didn't mention anything about the ability to change the power levels. Not that makes much difference since I will be messing with it.

Will CHIRP not program the GMRSV1?

You'll receive fine. But any memory slot you add will not transmit. I was trying to add repeaters and could not keep duplex setting to stick, close chirp and reopen it.

For now I use the memory slots as a phone book of tones for repeaters i may run into, with a custom friendly name.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I just used CHIRP this afternoon to add the weather channels. It took a minute, but I finally figured it out.

I right clicked on the channel I wanted, clicked on properties, then entered the frequency that I wanted.

That's what I had to do when I programmed mine last night.

I have a new friend. WRDH378. He has a Bteck radio. He couldn't get if to receive. When we put in the receive tone the radio acted like it was the wrong tone. Could see the radio receiving but no audio. When you take the receive tone out you can hear the audio from the repeater. The transmit tone must be fine because it activates the repeater. Anyone head of that?

WRCW870

I have a new friend. WRDH378. He has a Bteck radio. He couldn't get if to receive. When we put in the receive tone the radio acted like it was the wrong tone. Could see the radio receiving but no audio. When you take the receive tone out you can hear the audio from the repeater. The transmit tone must be fine because it activates the repeater. Anyone head of that?

WRCW870

You could just run it with no recieve tone. If you are in an area with a lot of GMRS traffic that may make for a noisy time though lol.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hi, many repeaters can use a different pl tones for tx and rx, or no tone at all. The gmrs-v1 is capable of scanning pl tones. Using another radio to activate the repeater scan the pl tone when the repeater is active. This should tell you the correct rx tone for the gmrs-v1.

I hope.

Keith T

It's my repeater. The tones are the same. We have 8 other radios including other GMRS-V1 radios programming with both tones. They all work fine.

except WRDH378's unit. Has to be a problem with radio. However I don't thing it is repairable. 

WRCW870

Sounds like another decoder issue. I have got wind of this issue from several users of this unit. This is caused by overloading the front end, or simply being to close to a base or repeater. This is what cheap hardware gets you, in order to cut costs you have to cut quality and engineering. For the record it can be repaired but in the end its not worth it. I don't know about others but my min charge is an hr and that is more then the radio costs new.