GMRS-50X1 Features Review

marcspaz

Yes, everything RCM wrote is true, and marcspaz's point is also very valid. Buying used commercial equipment has some risks and involves some elbow grease. Some people are not afraid of all that, and to some figuring out details might be daunting. Putting old commercial rig into service would involve:

- figuring out the power supply and connector (new rigs already have wires with fuses supplied);

- figuring out programming (some could be programmed from the front panel, some not, cables, software, etc...);

- risk that commercial rig would have a wrong/special firmware (one of mine TK-880's had something weird, and I had to ask around to flash the stock Kenwood firmware).

So, in addition to the purchase price of the rig, one must plan for another $10 - $50 and some work for what might be needed to put the transceiver into service. Not a problem for me, most HAMs, radio professionals, but could be a problem for a lot of people.

But, yeah, $55 for a working TK-805D with mike, or $65 for TK-880... I'll leave you here gentlemen, I need to do some shopping.

Is there a TK880 usb programing cable or do you need a serial adapter? Been kicking around getting one.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

There is a usb cable for the TK880. No serial adapter needed. Here's the one I have: https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Kenwood-Programming-Cable-TK-780-TK-880-KPG-46p/152618254912?hash=item2388c1c240:g:JnkAAOSwytJaBd~n

There are also cheaper ones on ebay, but this particular seller was recommended to me and it is the one I have direct experience with.

• 3 weeks later...

This is no different from any of the cheap Chinese radios that have come across my bench. I think its time the FCC starts doing its own testing, this goes to show the Chinese manufactures dont care and will fudge the paperwork to make this junk sellable in the US. As I have stated before none of these CCR's belong in use on GMRS as even the certified ones don't meet spec or standard. The spurs in the 900 band where strong enough to pick them up several 100 feet away on a scanner.

Yep, you'll find no argument from me on this matter. Been there, done that. I've also learned the hard way that using a "commercial grade" GMRS repeater, which might have thousands of dollars invested on it, to gauge performance of ANY radio is just setting yourself for failure. Why? B/c lets face it, the repeater is what does all the work in that situation, not your radio, b/c if that was the case, you wouldn't need a repeater, now would you?

So, if you have a radio that works with a repeater far away you can only assume one, or two things, which are: either the repeater is placed at a very good location, or that such repeater has some pretty amazing antenna/feedline/filters/radio gear, or both.

You could probably hit repeaters 30+ miles away with one of those 3-transistor radio experiments from those toy electronic kits from the 80s, now, does it mean that such 3-transistor contraption is any good? certainly not. Same applies here, most of those cheap radios have direct conversion receivers with utter garbage front ends, that let through RF noise at the same rate the hole that sank the Titanic let the water through....

Again, I am not saying you shouldn't ever buy those radios, just to BE AWARE of their limitations. I have a dozen of those 9 dollar Baofeng BF-888S spread throughout my large house, pretty much a radio on every room set as intercom, all set on low too. Those work a-charm for that intercom duty, so, my family instead of screaming just pick the radio and talk as most of them use VOX, so its super convenient... but then again, when I need range and reliability I don't carry around an 888S, I carry a portable EVX-539 G7 on my belt and an EVX-5400 G7 mobile on the car...

I know Corey loves Motorola, and I am hoping one day I can become a Moto fanboy too... but the wallet is just not there yet... :)

Also, most Motorola gear is made in Malaysia these days IIRC, so I don't think is about where its made, its about how is designed, really. Brands like Motorola do their homework and put out radios that work, and usually work very well; also, they didn't get there b/c one day they woke up and Moto was making great radios, they worked their butts off to get there, and if you care to read about Motorola history you'll see why they are there, all the achievements they've accomplished throughout history.

Cheers.

G.

There is a usb cable for the TK880. No serial adapter needed. Here's the one I have: https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Kenwood-Programming-Cable-TK-780-TK-880-KPG-46p/152618254912?hash=item2388c1c240:g:JnkAAOSwytJaBd~n

There are also cheaper ones on ebay, but this particular seller was recommended to me and it is the one I have direct experience with.

Wasn't trying to be argumentative earlier just clearing up any miscommunication on what I was looking for and for what. What program do you use for the TK-880?

I don't have a problem getting a used radio and taking the time to get it up and running, heck it's the cheaper option for a quality unit. But my plate is loaded down and I was looking for something turn key for now. I have a 1986 F-150 that I am restoring that will get one of these radios most likely. I actually have two vehicle projects, three kids, a house to finish renovating, work 40-50hrs a week, and am in college full time trying to finish my engineering degree. I really don't have time to tear down, clean and repair any radio units lol. This is why currently I'd rather drop $200-300 on a unit ready to go that I don't have to worry about instead of $65 on something I have to spend a few hours on or stress about the risk of being non functional. This is also why I haven't responded... Been too busy to be on here to follow up.

My position is another pivot on what Marc said. And to support his point, you may have a bunch of people with no mechanical/electrical ability or general handiness wanting to get into GMRS, and drop the money on a license for one reason or another who need turn key options and if the only thing a community can ever give them is, buy this 25 year old radio tear it down, then buy x y and z and then program it etc it's going to overwhelm and scare people away from the hobby.

Wasn't trying to be argumentative earlier just clearing up any miscommunication on what I was looking for and for what. What program do you use for the TK-880?

I don't have a problem getting a used radio and taking the time to get it up and running, heck it's the cheaper option for a quality unit. But my plate is loaded down and I was looking for something turn key for now. I have a 1986 F-150 that I am restoring that will get one of these radios most likely. I actually have two vehicle projects, three kids, a house to finish renovating, work 40-50hrs a week, and am in college full time trying to finish my engineering degree. I really don't have time to tear down, clean and repair any radio units lol. This is why currently I'd rather drop $200-300 on a unit ready to go that I don't have to worry about instead of $65 on something I have to spend a few hours on or stress about the risk of being non functional. This is also why I haven't responded... Been too busy to be on here to follow up.

My position is another pivot on what Marc said. And to support his point, you may have a bunch of people with no mechanical/electrical ability or general handiness wanting to get into GMRS, and drop the money on a license for one reason or another who need turn key options and if the only thing a community can ever give them is, buy this 25 year old radio tear it down, then buy x y and z and then program it etc it's going to overwhelm and scare people away from the hobby.

KPG-49D v 4.xx, as linked in this thread: https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/1629-programming-a-tk880/

It's available various places for free, and in fact if you buy the cable from "BlueMax49ers" on ebay he will probably send you a copy of the software too, if you would prefer to get it that way.

As for radio condition, please let me know if you run across any TK-880s that need to be torn down, cleaned up and repaired. Radios like that would probably sell for $10 each or less, and I would be in the market for a dozen or so. But most of the TK-880s out there for sale are in very good to excellent condition. The arduous task of setting one up consists of connecting power, plug the programming cable into the mic jack of the radio and the usb port of your Windows computer, run the program, fill in your desired frequencies/offsets/tones/bandwidths (W/N) in the spreadsheet of the program, and click "write to radio." Done. No tearing down, no cleaning, it's actually easier and quicker than figuring out the settings on a Midland, and you actually end up with the correct settings instead of the closest facsimile the Midland offers.

There are even sellers who will program the radio for you, free of charge, when you buy one from them.

Most of the sellers of these commercial radios are, after all, radio shops. That's how they got them to begin with.

Not to step on anyone's toes here, but the only people I see defending the Midlands are people who have money invested in one or more of them.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-TK880-UHF-TK-880-1-V-2-250Ch-25-Watts-450-490-Mhz/123813584035?epid=619911360&hash=item1cd3dd5ca3:g:MxYAAOSwE5BdERZ0

I don't know this guy; I just found it in a quick search. It's on the high end price wise, at $99 + $12 shipping. But the radios look great, include the mic, mount bracket and power cable, and free programming of up to 16 channels. The seller even has a 90 day warranty.

Connect power, connect antenna. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Yep, you'll find no argument from me on this matter. Been there, done that. I've also learned the hard way that using a "commercial grade" GMRS repeater, which might have thousands of dollars invested on it, to gauge performance of ANY radio is just setting yourself for failure. Why? B/c lets face it, the repeater is what does all the work in that situation, not your radio, b/c if that was the case, you wouldn't need a repeater, now would you?

So, if you have a radio that works with a repeater far away you can only assume one, or two things, which are: either the repeater is placed at a very good location, or that such repeater has some pretty amazing antenna/feedline/filters/radio gear, or both.

You could probably hit repeaters 30+ miles away with one of those 3-transistor radio experiments from those toy electronic kits from the 80s, now, does it mean that such 3-transistor contraption is any good? certainly not. Same applies here, most of those cheap radios have direct conversion receivers with utter garbage front ends, that let through RF noise at the same rate the hole that sank the Titanic let the water through....

Again, I am not saying you shouldn't ever buy those radios, just to BE AWARE of their limitations. I have a dozen of those 9 dollar Baofeng BF-888S spread throughout my large house, pretty much a radio on every room set as intercom, all set on low too. Those work a-charm for that intercom duty, so, my family instead of screaming just pick the radio and talk as most of them use VOX, so its super convenient... but then again, when I need range and reliability I don't carry around an 888S, I carry a portable EVX-539 G7 on my belt and an EVX-5400 G7 mobile on the car...

I know Corey loves Motorola, and I am hoping one day I can become a Moto fanboy too... but the wallet is just not there yet... :)

Also, most Motorola gear is made in Malaysia these days IIRC, so I don't think is about where its made, its about how is designed, really. Brands like Motorola do their homework and put out radios that work, and usually work very well; also, they didn't get there b/c one day they woke up and Moto was making great radios, they worked their butts off to get there, and if you care to read about Motorola history you'll see why they are there, all the achievements they've accomplished throughout history.

Cheers.

G.

I can help you out there, if you're interested. I have a Motorola M1225 already programmed with GMRS channels that I would be willing to sell. It's in great condition. I'll even throw in the programming cable.

Nothing wrong with it; I'm just not using it because I have enough Kenwoods to cover all my GMRS needs.

...The arduous task of setting one up consists of connecting power, plug the programming cable into the mic jack of the radio and the usb port of your Windows computer, run the program, fill in your desired frequencies/offsets/tones/bandwidths (W/N) in the spreadsheet of the program, and click "write to radio." Done. No tearing down, no cleaning, it's actually easier and quicker than figuring out the settings on a Midland, and you actually end up with the correct settings instead of the closest facsimile the Midland offers....

EXACTLY! Note also that unless you plan to use a radio strictly for simplex at the default power, with no PL/DPL tones and no optional settings, you will still need to do some programming - even on a brand new off-the-shelf, GMRS Certified radio. Yes, with some radios this programming can be done from the keypad. However, keypad programming is laborious and error prone. Further, if you buy a second radio and want to program it just like your first one or have to replace a radio, you have to start from scratch. If you programmed the radio(s) from your computer you can just clone the new radio in one step.

Personally, I prefer the Motorola gear. However, while it can be found, Motorola software is not easily acquired. While Kenwood, (and Vertex) software is, as RCM noted, readily available.

Again to emphasize what others have already written: When buying radio gear on eBay, look for good quality equipment from a seller with high ratings who will guarantee the radio(s). Also, make sure the radio will cover the GMRS portion of the UHF band (462-467mHz). You can usually tell this from the product description or the model number.  If you are buying hand-held radios, assume you will also need a new battery and possibly a charging stand. Finally, do your homework and lookup the radio and specific model online to be sure it fits your needs for power and features.

I can help you out there, if you're interested. I have a Motorola M1225 already programmed with GMRS channels that I would be willing to sell. It's in great condition. I'll even throw in the programming cable.

Nothing wrong with it; I'm just not using it because I have enough Kenwoods to cover all my GMRS needs.

Thank you RCM, however, the Vertex Standard mobiles I have ATM are working great so at this point I think I am all caught up on GMRS radios. (while keeps thinking about ham ticket, finding ways to buy MORE radios ) hahaha.

Thanks gents I think I'll be scanning eBay after class for some tk-880s tonight after class. I didn't have a Midland when I posted previously but I did pick one up about a week ago. I have a couple project vehicles to outfit yet and would like to set up a base station at the house. Big fan of being able to computer programming in that case just pop and swap press load and move on. I remember seeing some VX-6000's on eBay for under $200 but they were questionable.

Speaking of which, anyone buy anything from these guys, they have what looks like a decent selection of tested equipment. To include some 40watt M1225s as well as other Motorola and Kenwood sets.

https://used-radios.com/collections/mobiles/band_uhf

I haven't dealt with them, but they look reasonable.

I'll extend the same offer to you on the M1225, since gman1971 isn't interested. It's the 40 watt 20 channel version, pre-programmed with gmrs channels, and I'll throw in the programming cable. All for less than used-radios dot com has them listed without the cable.

I'll extend the same offer to you on the M1225, since gman1971 isn't interested. It's the 40 watt 20 channel version, pre-programmed with gmrs channels, and I'll throw in the programming cable. All for less than used-radios dot com has them listed without the cable.

Sent you a PM.

• 1 month later...

Did the deal get done?

Looked at M1225, 20Ch at $135 and Kenwood TK-863G, 256Ch at $95 on usedradios.com.  They seemed to think the Motorola was more than I need.

Use will be mobile to HT, little if any repeater use.

Is one much "better" than the other?

I've pretty much put Midland out of the picture.

Did the deal get done?

Looked at M1225, 20Ch at $135 and Kenwood TK-863G, 256Ch at $95 on usedradios.com.  They seemed to think the Motorola was more than I need.

Use will be mobile to HT, little if any repeater use.

Is one much "better" than the other?

I've pretty much put Midland out of the picture.

Downs bought the 1225, for substantially less than that and without the cable.

The Kenwwood is better in terms of finding the proper software. Also has more channels.

For your use, either is good but the Motorola is more compact and maybe a little simpler to operate. But if you do get a Motorola, it's probably best to pay a shop the $25 or so to program it, or buy it from a shop (used-radios.com for example) that will program it for you.

• 5 months later...

4.) The radio only draws 3.5 amps while using the radio at full power, with the cooling fan running.  The radio came with large gauge power wires.  They are not labeled, but they measure about 2mm.  They are likely 14 gauge, rated for 15 amps.  That's a plus, as you are less likely to have voltage drop over the length of the wire and the fuse will pop long before the wires become a fire risk.

Is 3.5A during Tx?