28 replies to this topic

#21 Wrax809

Wrax809

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:Wrax809

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:46 AM

That's odd I am about 20 miles south and can hit it from my mobile no problem. Do you have the correct pl set?

#22 Wrax809

Wrax809

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:Wrax809

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:54 AM

That's odd I'm about 20 miles south and can hit it from my mobile. Do you have the correct pl?

#23 berkinet

berkinet

Senior expert on absolutely nothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:27 AM

That's odd I'm about 20 miles south and can hit it from my mobile. Do you have the correct pl?

Signal propagation can be affected by many things at UHF frequencies: multi-path distortion (signal reflection from buildings and land features), foliage, even the curve of the earth. In most cases, those things will degrade the signal. But, they can also help as well. Besides the radio itself, other factors that may affect the signal are adjacent channel interference, feed-line, antenna, antenna placement, even weather.
  • marcspaz likes this

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#24 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:55 AM

Well put.  I experience the affects of this on a repeater in Virginia pretty regularly.  I can be 22-25 miles away and be full quiet and as I drive closer, I lose the repeater completely.  I don't actually get back into it until I am about 18 miles away or closer.  I think the environmental conditions in the location I am usually at when in that 22-25 mile range is a geographic sweet-spot.

#25 BKLIPP

BKLIPP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WREL220

Posted 29 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

Hi all. Well, I am a newbie also. Been in radios for years just never got an GMRS license till now. Very interested in learning all there is to learn. I live in Concord, North Carolina and I've found a few repeaters but not sure how to get linked to them. There is one in my immediate area of a frequency of 462.700. It says it's an open repeater but I'm just not sure how to hit it. There is a CSQ of 146.2HZ so do I have to program this in, and if so, is this an transmit or receive, or both? thank you for any help. My name is Bryan and call is WREL220.

#26 DeoVindice

DeoVindice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WREC548

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:45 PM

Hi all. Well, I am a newbie also. Been in radios for years just never got an GMRS license till now. Very interested in learning all there is to learn. I live in Concord, North Carolina and I've found a few repeaters but not sure how to get linked to them. There is one in my immediate area of a frequency of 462.700. It says it's an open repeater but I'm just not sure how to hit it. There is a CSQ of 146.2HZ so do I have to program this in, and if so, is this an transmit or receive, or both? thank you for any help. My name is Bryan and call is WREL220.

Yes, you will have to program your encode tone as 146.2Hz for the repeater to retransmit your transmissions. If you program your decode tone as 146.2Hz, you will only hear traffic using that tone. If you leave your decode tone as CSQ, you will hear all traffic on the frequency. This could conceivably include bubble pack users talking simplex on the repeater output freq, so I'd recommend programming both encode and decode tones.

Admitted Kenwood fanboy and accumulator of public safety radios

#27 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:56 PM

Yes, you will have to program your encode tone as 146.2Hz for the repeater to retransmit your transmissions. If you program your decode tone as 146.2Hz, you will only hear traffic using that tone. If you leave your decode tone as CSQ, you will hear all traffic on the frequency. This could conceivably include bubble pack users talking simplex on the repeater output freq, so I'd recommend programming both encode and decode tones.

Just as an FYI... kinda related...

Today, for the first time ever, I found a repeater that did not pass through tones, nor transmit it's own tone on the output.

#28 DeoVindice

DeoVindice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WREC548

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:53 AM

Today, for the first time ever, I found a repeater that did not pass through tones, nor transmit it's own tone on the output.

Not surprised that it's the first time you've seen that. I've never heard of that arrangement before.
  • marcspaz likes this

Admitted Kenwood fanboy and accumulator of public safety radios

#29 berkinet

berkinet

Senior expert on absolutely nothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:08 AM

Many repeaters offer three choices for PL (etc.) output:

a) generate the selected tone on the output.

B) pass the received tone through to the output (usually about 3db down).

c) filter out the received tone altogether.

Depending on the radio and the programming/settings interface, you might be able to combine some of the above options. For example, pass-through received PL and add another PL on output. Or filter out the received PL and add again on the output. YMMV

• marcspaz likes this

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Radio check, Hard to find repeaters, Access a local repeater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users