#1 HowieDewing

HowieDewing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCooper City, Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WRDL349

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:24 PM

I am new to GMRS and recently received my license. I am located in Southwest Broward County, FL (Cooper City). I did not see a listing for any repeaters in my area. Would anyone know if there are any repeaters in my area that I could do a radio check with? Do I need to do something with my settings or get permission to access a local repeater for GMRS? 

I am using my radio for personal use and considering getting my HAM license. For now, my wife and I are just trying to get familiar with the GMRS and FRS frequencies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

HowieDewing

#2 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:27 AM

Hey Howie, welcome.

Unfortunately, we don't publish specific repeater information in the public forums, to prevent unlicensed users from abusing the service.  I can tell you that between the "Maps" feature and the directory, it looks like there are potentially several that serve your area.

If you haven't created an account on www.mygmrs.com, you will need to in order to access the directory.  It is a separate login from the forums.  Once,you are logged in, look at the "Maps" and search the directory, include the whole state and sort by city.  You should be able to see the same repeaters that I do.

• Corey and mire like this

#3 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:09 PM

I see 80 repeaters listed as being in Florida. It is highly likely that some of them are no longer active, but also likely that you will find one near you.

Don't forget that you can use simplex as well. ;)

#4 andygeekboy

andygeekboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNorth Miami
  • GMRS Callsign:WREI369
  • Ham Callsign:KN4YRK

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:26 PM

Sorry to tell you Howie but I haven't found a GMRS repeater being used in our area (I live in North Miami).

There is apparently one in Plantation but I haven't had a chance to get on it so can't confirm.

Maybe good news or maybe bad news but I've been driving around with my scanner the last week between my house and work (Miramar) and have not heard anything on any of the GMRS frequencies.

Andy

#5 Logan5

Logan5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQT630
  • Ham Callsign:KK4PRC

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:40 PM

The repeater in plantation is a local repeater only, maybe a mile or two. I live in east lauderdale and with a 5 watt radio at 62' and directional antenna, I am unable to hit it. I have been west of 441 and south of sunrise with truck antenna and nothing. I am the sysop for FTL600 and we are prepping for a hardline upgrade, you may have better luck with FTL600 after the upgrade.

• andygeekboy likes this

#6 andygeekboy

andygeekboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNorth Miami

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

Thanks Logan!

Looking at the current coverage map for FTL600 I'm just outside, fingers crossed I can hit it with the new upgrade.

Not to stray too far from the OP's topic but it seems that there is a definite lack of GMRS activity in my neck of the woods, is this common for Dade?

The repeater in plantation is a local repeater only, maybe a mile or two. I live in east lauderdale and with a 5 watt radio at 62' and directional antenna, I am unable to hit it. I have been west of 441 and south of sunrise with truck antenna and nothing. I am the sysop for FTL600 and we are prepping for a hardline upgrade, you may have better luck with FTL600 after the upgrade.

#7 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

Sounds like a void to be filled for an aspiring repeater owner. Get it 200' up and you can easily get a 50 mile radius. I have a duplex in Hollywood that I am on my way to. Stopping in St. Petersburg first, but I'll do some testing to see if I can find d anything when I'm here.
  • Logan5 likes this

#8 andygeekboy

andygeekboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNorth Miami

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

Nice!

#9 berkinet

berkinet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:00 PM

Just FYI. Note the OP has not checked in since his original post. (Something that seems to, sadly, happen all too often on this forum.)

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#10 andygeekboy

andygeekboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNorth Miami

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:17 PM

He may have left but Iā€™m still getting value from this post šŸ˜†
  • Logan5, mainehazmt and berkinet like this

#11 andygeekboy

andygeekboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNorth Miami

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:48 PM

I have a duplex in Hollywood that I am on my way to. Stopping in St. Petersburg first, but I'll do some testing to see if I can find d anything when I'm here.

Hey Marc, 

Did you hear much traffic when you were down this way, I'm still not hearing a thing?

Thanks

#12 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:38 PM

I'm not hearing anything. We were at the beach today and didn't hear a single person.

When I move down here permanently, I'm going to look into stuffing a couple of repeaters on the roof of a hotel or some other building... maybe the SunTrust Financial Center.

#13 andygeekboy

andygeekboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNorth Miami

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:45 AM

When I move down here permanently, I'm going to look into stuffing a couple of repeaters on the roof of a hotel or some other building... maybe the SunTrust Financial Center.

As clueless as I am I'm prepared to help if you need

• marcspaz likes this

#14 Logan5

Logan5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:49 PM

As clueless as I am I'm prepared to help if you need

Try listening to the input for 600, I am hearing illegal marine simplex users, no ID. What's worse they are using the travel tone for their PL. I have been recording their comms. I know what area, still need to figure out which marina. I had to take the repeater down last night, something was very wrong, so I am installing our old backup so as the run test. I hope I did not damage the transmitter.

#15 Logan5

Logan5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:51 PM

Thanks Logan!

Looking at the current coverage map for FTL600 I'm just outside, fingers crossed I can hit it with the new upgrade.

Not to stray too far from the OP's topic but it seems that there is a definite lack of GMRS activity in my neck of the woods, is this common for Dade?

Do you have an outdoor antenna? unless you have some height, your not going to hear much.

#16 andygeekboy

andygeekboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNorth Miami

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:55 PM

Do you have an outdoor antenna? unless you have some height, your not going to hear much.

Not yet but I've been driving around with my scanner and a mag mount, only heard one thing in two weeks, sounded like a couple of maintenance people speaking mostly spanglish

#17 Logan5

Logan5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:11 PM

Yeah they are on DCS125 and they are harmless. they might even be operating legally according to the new rules. I do not here them on the input, so they are off my radar so to speak.

• andygeekboy likes this

#18 andygeekboy

andygeekboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNorth Miami

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:15 PM

I guess GMRS isn't so popular in my neck of the woods!

• Wrax809 likes this

#19 Wrax809

Wrax809

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:Wrax809

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:28 PM

There is a repeater in the downtown Miami area that has pretty good coverage. 462.625 check it out you might be able to hit it.

#20 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:10 PM

I'm a bit more that 20 miles north... can't reach it.  :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users