TK880H KPG49D Help program

nyc787

Question

As a fellow TK880 (and 380) user I can help you out I think.

Key assignments all depend on the level of experience the user has in operating radios and programing them. For example, someone who is new may wish to have Vol up/down, Channel up/down, OST (Or Operator select-able tone, this allows the radio operator to change the PL/DPL tones to one pre-chosen by the programmer,) and power level. For my radio system, I've added in scan, group up/down (to help organize frequencies), radio paging, and text messaging(preset using fleetsync.) If you are new, I recommend you stick to basic functions as using improper fleetsync codes can cause disruption to other kenwood users.

For optional features, Always select "off hook decode" (second screencap) This forces the radio to decode the PL/DPL codes when the mic is removed from the holder and cuts out clutter traffic. I normally set my TOT for 120, 90 is fine, but 120 gives me a few seconds on those rare long transmissions and shouldn't hurt the radio.

QT/DQT are your PL/DPL codes, also known as CTCSS and DCS. Encode means when you transmit that code, Decode is for when you receive radio traffic. Usually these codes will be the same, however there are some repeaters that use "split" codes which means those values will be different. The numbers are CTCSS codes, the letter/number/number/number/letter codes are DCS and there are two types. Make sure you use the D###N codes. The "I" codes are inverted and are rarely used in the US.

For simplex operation, you should have the same frequency for RX and TX. This means you will transmit and receive on the same frequency. Remember, the last 8 channels in the GMRS allocation are repeater outputs. It is completely legal to talk simplex on these frequencies. For repeater operation, you will need to use two different frequencies. RX will be the 462.#### frequency, TX will be 467.####. The last four numbers of both frequencies should be the same.

Optional signaling should only be set up by users who understand what those options are. An easy way to explain it is:

2-tone: A paging system commonly used by fire and ems to alert crews to a pending emergency. TK880 is decode only so useless for GMRS.
DTMF, or Duel Tone Multi Frequency: Think back to the time of landlines and you had to dial a phone number. This is DTMF in action. DTMF in radios allow you to direct page another radio. Some use DTMF as identifiers. I find DTMF to take to much time and is lacking in features when fleetsync is available.
Fleetsync is a Kenwood codec for transmitting data. This data can simply be the radio's ID, or can contain text messages, or even signals to enable or disable a radio. Fleetsync offers a fair bit to users, however is a pain to program, and if done wrong can cause interference to other kenwood users by disabling their radios, or sending an emergency signal. It's best to get familiar with using the radio first, and if you think Fleetsync could work for you, ask for some assistance with programing the codes.

Oh, and if you don't want to use the "ignition sense" wire, I recommend direct splicing the wire rather than using a paperclip prior to installing. Normally those leads are powered "hot" and you don't want to cause a short that could damage your radio or worse, your entire car. If you have any questions feel free to post here or send me a message :)

WRAK968 thank you very much for taking time to respond with wealth of useful info.

Going back to how I connected ignition sense does this look safe as you mentioned possible short? For now these radios are intended as base radios for home off power supplies. I don’t plan to use them in cars.

31496-FC7-AA69-41-B0-8-A59-3-D5-C85-C9-D

1. You mentioned OST and that it can change PL tones and power outputs? I’m a little confused how that works.

If I program group 1 with first 462xxx frequency repeating same frequency under 6 random DCS tones and those will show up as 6 channels on radio, what will OST button do to each of the channel’s preset PL tone? ( for OST button to work do I have to program OST box in drop down (photo)

410-A7-A20-8-B65-4-CC2-AB74-FD89380-F70-

2. When I program channels do I always select Wide and Tx Power to High and if so , the OST key will be able to change power to those channels from High to low but they will revert to High when radio turned back on because that’s how they were programmed in software?

3. How should I set the Scan Information for it be most useful? photo

3-E3-BDD91-F025-43-FA-8110-93-DF245-CD45

Well, for the first post, I think if you remove the accessory cable from the radio (it just plugs in) I think that removes the Ignition sense, though Im not 100% sure as I have never used the cable myself. You can try that, just make a note as to where the cable is plugged in-case it doesn't work.

Q1: The OST button makes it so you can program 1 channel but select from a list of codes you set up. By selecting "no tone" under the OST menu on the radio sets the channel for the programmed code. I think you can have up to 16 different code pairs stored in the OST. the OST code list is the same no-matter what channel you are on. Because of this, you can have up to 17 different codes per channel, (One pre-programmed, the rest under OST)

Q2:Selecting Wide and High power is fine. OST has nothing to do with bandwidth (Wide/Narrow) or power output (High/Low), OST only changes the tones being used on a particular channel. To control power level, you will need to assign a key to let you switch between high and low power. 

**Side note; When you power cycle the radio all information is reset to the programmed settings.

Q3: check off "Off Hook Scan" this way when the mic is off the hanger the radio will still scan.

I don’t have a mic hanger. Is the radio smart and changes functions when mic is on or off a hanger?

So basically OST PL tone control is a shortcut to having to manually program each frequency to all available DCS numbers, one by one? So instead of having 16 channels of same frequency, I can have 1 channel with a frequency and OST will change its PL tones to however many I set? And to program PL Tones to OST control how do I do that?

What is the key assignment called to set a High/Low power control function? I keep reading it’s important to try talking on low power settings as curtesy so not to interfere with others so I want to have that on front panel.

"I don’t have a mic hanger. Is the radio smart and changes functions when mic is on or off a hanger?"

In a way yes. When the mic clip is removed from the back of the mic, the radio can disable scanning and disable any PL/DPL.

"So basically OST PL tone control is a shortcut to having to manually program each frequency to all available DCS numbers, one by one? So instead of having 16 channels of same frequency, I can have 1 channel with a frequency and OST will change its PL tones to however many I set? And to program PL Tones to OST control how do I do that?"

OST allows up to 16 preset PL/DPL tones to be readily available. you do that from the "Operator Select-able Tone" menu. Just like the channel menu, Dec for receive, Enc for transmit. Be sure to assign "OST" to a button on the radio.

"What is the key assignment called to set a High/Low power control function? I keep reading it’s important to try talking on low power settings as curtesy so not to interfere with others so I want to have that on front panel."
Good question, I recall setting power in the 49D software, but after checking it, I think I only set it for the 380 series portables and NOT on the mobile. I don't even see an option. strange.

hhmmm your radio still has the trunking program flashed into the radio it seems. When you turn the radio on what does it say? (If you have Ver1.5#### you have trunking firmware and will need to reflash the radio for some features)

As for showing frequency, Im guessing you mean like VFO mode. You can assign the frequency as the channel name to get that feel, but the 880's do not have VFO mode (And VFO is not allowed on part 95 equipment anyways) It cannot display the PL and I dont really know to many radios that show the PL code being used.

hhmmm, Ok, Check "Optional Features" Check that "Sub LCD Display" is set to Group number and "Display Character" is set to Channel Name. Then, Confirm that each channel has a name for it (Could be 462.7000 or Home or whatever you wish)Write to the radio and you should see the name on the screen.

I am able to have channel names displayed but not with group names at same time. It only lets me have group # and channel name.

But my bigger problem is OST. When I set tone # on any channel, the tones turn off after I cycle through last channel in the group or if I scroll back to any previous channel. Example if I set Tone on channel 1, then do same on channel 2 but then if I scroll back to channel 1, tones turn off. I assume Tones turn off because this symbol

Never mind my last question on OST, I figured it out. The reason it was not saving Tones is because I needed to check off Backup OST! Now I’m mostly set to programming the channels.

Is there a universal practice in how people name their channels?

Example if FCC chart calls channel 18 - 462.6250 and channel 21- 462.7000 should I be naming frequencies based on assigned FCC channel numbers?

Another question is when I’m scanning channels, will radio be scanning only the PL tones saved in OST or it will scan all frequencies regardless set PL tones?

What is the difference in function between MON/ monitor button and Scan isn’t it same function?

What is the difference in function between MON/ monitor button and Scan isn’t it same function?

MON or Monitor disables the PL or DPL tone on receive so you hear everything on the frequency.  SCAN does just that - scans all programmed channels until it hits something.

I'm not sure how the Kenwoods work, but my Midland LMR radios allow me to scan with the MON off, in which case they will only stop on proper PL or DPL deocoded transmissions, or I can scan with the MON function on, which then the scan stops on ANY signal received, regardless of PL/DPL.

Is there a universal practice in how people name their channels?
Example if FCC chart calls channel 18 - 462.6250 and channel 21- 462.7000 should I be naming frequencies based on assigned FCC channel numbers?

Completely a matter of preference. I label my channels by the number, (Simplex 20, Repeater 20, exc) Others label their channels with the last 4 digits of the frequency. (6750, RPT 6750) Whichever method is easier for you (and your family members) is fine.

Another question is when I’m scanning channels, will radio be scanning only the PL tones saved in OST or it will scan all frequencies regardless set PL tones?
You can only scan the channels. I believe it scans with the PL tones you set. It will not scan the PL codes to find what code another user is on.

Also, yes, tk880's will only display the group number and channel name. It cannot display both as it does not have a screen large enough.

Would it make sense to keep repeater channels and simplex channels in separate groups?

And going back to repeater channels, since most repeaters are private, does it mean I have to get PL tones from repeater owners and then match those repeater tones to my simplex tones for repeaters to work for me? Like repeaters PLs always have to match with your simplex channel PL unless a repeater is open type?

Would it make sense to keep repeater channels and simplex channels in separate groups?

And going back to repeater channels, since most repeaters are private, does it mean I have to get PL tones from repeater owners and then match those repeater tones to my simplex tones for repeaters to work for me? Like repeaters PLs always have to match with your simplex channel PL unless a repeater is open type?

Oi, your really new here lol

Repeater frequencies will require you to transmit on 467.#### and receive on 462.####. Open repeaters may still use a PL code. (This is used to filter out other conversations as there are only 8 channels for repeaters) Those codes are generally posted on the MyGMRS site as long as the repeater is listed there. Private repeaters require you to get permission to use the machine. Some require membership dues to help fund the repeater. To access those repeaters you will need to contact the repeaters owner or administrator for permission. when permission is given they will typically then tell you the codes to access the system. To use the repeater you will always need to use duplex mode (Transmit on one frequency, receive on another)

The antenna connection on this model is called SO-239 (female) and I have to look for antennas with PL 259 (male) connection? Most antennas I see online say they have N female connector; do I have to look for connection accessory that is called N female to PL259?

You can find commercial antennas tuned for 460-470 with so239 connectors (this is the end the antenna should have as your feedline will have PL259 connectors which mate to them)

If you do get an antenna with an N connector, simply look up a so239 to N connector. This will allow you to adapt an "N" socket to a PL259 plug.

You mean for repeaters in different cities?

Not really different cities.

I will usually append the fractional digits of the frequency in case there are more than one repeater in any city, such as:

HMD675

HMD525

GARY700

etc.

If the repeater has a "name" I'll use that instead:

NSEA

FOXRUN

Thank you guys, I learned a lot, starting from 0 to programming frequencies to now figuring out which antenna I’ll get and proper mounting.

Yeah you learn a lot, If you really want to learn more, like radio repair and how they work, become a ham operator :P Takes a bit of learning but what you learn follows everyday life, from radios to cell phones to wifi. You get an understanding for their strengths and weaknesses and failures.