Jump to content

BuyTwoWayRadios.com

Photo

Any thoughts on ICOM gear?


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BoxCar

BoxCar

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationArden, NC
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCM737

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:26 AM

I'm looking at picking up an ICOM IC-F6011 for a transmitter either in my base or as the output for a repeater I can install. What I'm looking for are some thoughts on this units performance over time and if there are concerns over possibly reaching or exceeding the recommended duty cycle. They are reasonably priced both new and used on Flea-Bay. I know from past experience the brand is/was frequently cited by hams for its quality.


Old and wise infers you were once young and stupid


#2 WRAK968

WRAK968

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAK968
  • Ham Callsign:KC2YQW

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:17 AM

I use Icom VHF radios at work all the time. Never had any issues with them and they are much older models. They outlasted the motorola radios by years.

As for the F6011, It likely has the same duty cycle as other heavy duty mobile radios, that being about 20% on high power. Icom does not outright come out and say this, but the cooling fins look to be about the same size as those on the Kenwood 8180's. One important note is that the Kenwoods are 30W radios and the icom is a 45W, which could reduce the duty cycle, but knowing Icom I would say 20% is reasonable to expect. Thats my input at least so you may wish to wait till a diehard Icom user or tech comes in.


  • berkinet likes this

#3 berkinet

berkinet

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:35 AM

I use Icom VHF radios at work all the time. Never had any issues with them and they are much older models. They outlasted the motorola radios by years.

As for the F6011, It likely has the same duty cycle as other heavy duty mobile radios, that being about 20% on high power. Icom does not outright come out and say this, but the cooling fins look to be about the same size as those on the Kenwood 8180's. One important note is that the Kenwoods are 30W radios and the icom is a 45W, which could reduce the duty cycle, but knowing Icom I would say 20% is reasonable to expect. Thats my input at least so you may wish to wait till a diehard Icom user or tech comes in.

 

Not a comment on Icom per-se. But, regarding duty cycle. Depending on your needs and application a 20% duty cycle transmitter for a repeater may be marginal. Remember, the repeater duty cycle is the sum of all the inputs. I.e. two people each transmitting 20% of the time (12 seconds per minute), will put a 40% load (24 seconds per minute) on the repeater.


  • n4gix likes this

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users