WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAF233

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:41 PM

Ok, I just ordered the 805G, high cap battery, programming cable w/free software, a HT belt case.  Got frequencies sorted out so I can program this thing right away and cleared the way for repeater use.  My new obsession.. hope it's fun.

Good news is, I've never owned anything but the blister pack radios so I have nothing of comparable quality to compare it to (other than the Motorola HT we used at work) so it should be just fine.

Thanks for all the help.

WRAF233

NE NV

#22 WREN301

WREN301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV
  • GMRS Callsign:WREN301
  • Ham Callsign:K7NVT

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:05 PM

Ok, I just ordered the 805G, high cap battery, programming cable w/free software, a HT belt case.  Got frequencies sorted out so I can program this thing right away and cleared the way for repeater use.  My new obsession.. hope it's fun.

Good news is, I've never owned anything but the blister pack radios so I have nothing of comparable quality to compare it to (other than the Motorola HT we used at work) so it should be just fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Nice! I think you will like the 805. I was going to try a case for it. Did you get the case that buytwowayradios.com offers?

Let us know how it works for you at your locations and how your repeater access is.
  • WRAF233 likes this

Yaesu FT-60R w/ MARS/CAP mod and all accessories

Diamond MR77

#23 WREN301

WREN301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:35 PM

I have one of these units but I haven't had the chance to throw them on the service monitor yet. Danny from BuyTwoWayRadios said they selected this model because it wasn't a radio-on-a-chip design, so the performance should be better than a lot of the CCR's. I haven't been able to independently verify that yet.

The radio does work, I programmed it for a repeater a couple miles away and I was able to talk between my Kenwood NX-5300 and this radio side-by-side via the repeater. So even with the obvious desense, they still worked. That's about the extent of my testing aside from scanning around the FRS/GMRS frequencies to see what else I pick up (which isn't much as this area is very quiet now).

myGMRS is also selling these on our shop, and we're working on reseller arrangements with several big names that are in the final stages. The goal is to have a GMRS-friendly shop where you can find type-accepted equipment and some non-GMRS equipment as well, like Part 90 and Amateur equipment. But if you're new to GMRS and have no idea what equipment you can buy, we'll have a clearly-marked GMRS section so you can buy something legal without worry.

Rich, what do you think of the buttons? The material and the feedback? Just curious if I’m the only one that doesn’t like them.

Diamond MR77

#24 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:55 AM

Nice! I think you will like the 805. I was going to try a case for it. Did you get the case that buytwowayradios.com offers?

Let us know how it works for you at your locations and how your repeater access is.

Yup, case from buytwoway.

You can be sure I'll be posting how it works for me.  I have 2 repeaters line-of-sight from my house (5 miles or so) so should be able to hit them.  There are 2 more some 40 miles away and the owner says he can hit my local repeater from his house at that distance, and I think he meant without using his repeater.. interesting. 

So I'll have lots to play with.. once past programming and the learning curve.

Elementary question:  Other than announcing my License # when I go on-air,  is there a code or comment I throw out looking for ANY response from anyone (ala: "Radio Check")?  Still need the FAQ list on acronyms..lol.  Did I read something about "CQ". 

Did I screw up ordering from buytwoway?  Meant to order from myGMRS but thought it linked me to BTWR??

WRAF233

NE NV

#25 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:09 PM

Elementary question:  Other than announcing my License # when I go on-air,  is there a code or comment I throw out looking for ANY response from anyone (ala: "Radio Check")?  Still need the FAQ list on acronyms..lol.  Did I read something about "CQ". 

Found what might be helpful:

https://forums.mygmr...ion-using-gmrs/

WRAF233

NE NV

#26 berkinet

berkinet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:20 PM

...Still need the FAQ list on acronyms..lol.  Did I read something about "CQ"...

Heaven, and the powers of the universe, tend to help those who help themselves. This is a corollary to "google is your friend."

With a few keystrokes I found

https://www.dxing.com/radterms.htm  and  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CQ_(call)

Note CQ is not generally used on GMRS. Though, there is no legal reason you couldn't use it, other than most people listening would think you were daft.

• Elkhunter521, kipandlee and WRAF233 like this

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#27 WREN301

WREN301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:38 PM

Yup, case from buytwoway.

Nice! I just ordered one myself along with the extended battery. I wonder if that case will fit with the extended battery on?? Also, the extended battery has to be removed from the radio for charging from what I’ve read.
  • WRAF233 likes this

Diamond MR77

#28 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:57 PM

Nice! I just ordered one myself along with the extended battery. I wonder if that case will fit with the extended battery on?? Also, the extended battery has to be removed from the radio for charging from what I’ve read.

Guess I'll find out about the fit.  Might should have gotten the AA Battery case instead.  Either way, minor details.

WRAF233

NE NV

#29 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:58 PM

Heaven, and the powers of the universe, tend to help those who help themselves. This is a corollary to "google is your friend."

With a few keystrokes I found

https://www.dxing.com/radterms.htm  and  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CQ_(call)

Note CQ is not generally used on GMRS. Though, there is no legal reason you couldn't use it, other than most people listening would think you were daft.

Point taken but after many keystrokes I found nothing like that.

Thanks.

WRAF233

NE NV

#30 WREN301

WREN301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:30 PM

Guess I'll find out about the fit.  Might should have gotten the AA Battery case instead.  Either way, minor details.

Buy Two-Way Radios went and confirmed that the extended battery on the radio WILL fit the case. They tried it themselves. So that’s good!
  • WRAF233 likes this

Diamond MR77

#31 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:56 PM

Yup, the radio fits the case with big battery.  Also fit the charger.. wahoo!  Both batteries had full charge on arrival.

Bad new is (yes, I searched before making this post B) ): 

I've been unable to get a good Connection from laptop - transceiver.

Have installed/uninstalled Drivers and Programming software a couple times.. always same result.  And first thing I did is print the instructions from the CD, followed to the letter.  Windows 7 - 64 bit.  Yup installing the correct Driver and SW.

Com Port changes with every install.  Started showing COM4 and COM6 available and in the Devices it shows as on COM6 so that's what I select in the Program. Last attempt was COM7.

When I select Read Radio it only moves the progress bar a couple lines, although a couple times it made it 1/4 of the way across the screen, I was all excited, (so it is trying and is seeing the driver in Devices) but always comes up with Failed Connection.

Guess I'll be on the phone with the vendor in the morning and hope they can point out something simple/stupid I'm doing or not.  Ah, like, there are 3 USB ports on my laptop, same result from all.  Could it be as simple as the wrong USB?  Black on black print, can't read the dang thing.

Maybe one of you brainiacs can point to something obvious to all except me.  Definitely don't spend any time on me; like I said, I'll call BTWR in the morning.. nice that they're EST and I'm PST - I can get after it early.

From what I can see there is not a way to input Duplex frequencies from the display.  Written instructions could be better, not much detail..  But that's a secondary issue; if I get the software working I'll do that all from there.

The 805 did talk to my old Midland X-511 in the house so there's hope.

Thanks for listening to the rant.

WRAF233

NE NV

#32 WREN301

WREN301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:05 PM

Yep, I got my extended battery today and I’m glad it fits on the radio while charging. I figured it would because of the size of the chargers opening/slot. They case fits too. But it’s right!! Hoping that leather stretches a little bit.

As far as the cable goes. I’m not sure. Which one did you buy? From BTWR? I bought mine from this guy: https://www.ebay.com...pid=17034686501

Good stuff. Didn’t have to instal anything. It was literally plug-n-play. Genuine Prolific chipset. Windows automatically installs in seconds. Maybe your cable is bad?

Diamond MR77

#33 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:13 PM

This cable from BTWR:  https://www.buytwowa...un-pco-001.html

And this case: https://www.buytwowa...xlt-cs200g.html

Didn't see the leather one until I'd ordered this one.

And just to be sure, that linked ebay cable was for your 805, right?  You're kidding?  No software to install, no disc, no driver install.. just plug 'n play.  Ah, man!   :huh:

Thanks.

WRAF233

NE NV

#34 WREN301

WREN301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:19 PM

Oh!! Yeah, I saw those cases. I may try that one as well.

Yeah, mine is: https://www.buytwowa...c-kg-uvd1p.html

Yes, that cable in the link works flawlessly with my 805.

I read a while back that you want to avoid cables that include a CD. Since genuine Prolific and FTDI cables will poll the computer for a universally provided driver (updated) from Windows and install it automatically. So far I’ve seen evidence of that.

Diamond MR77

#35 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:52 PM

Aaarrghh!  LOL!

I just ordered from Ebay and will return the Wouxun unit with software, CD and all - AFTER I receive the new one and it works, of course.  Have to wait 'til Tuesday now..

WRAF233

NE NV

#36 WREN301

WREN301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:58 PM

Oh good! Ok. Yeah, from my experience that cable is effortless. I expect it will be for you as well. What OS are you running?

Diamond MR77

#37 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:36 PM

Windows 7.  64 bit.

WRAF233

NE NV

#38 WREN301

WREN301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:50 PM

Oh ok cool. Yeah, you should be ok.

So I have to ask, I’ve asked Rich this too and he hasn’t replied yet. The buttons. What do you think of the buttons? I wish they were better.

Diamond MR77

#39 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:58 PM

Really no idea yet.  Too busy on the laptop.  Wanted to get the local repeater setup to try.  I would say the buttons will be cumbersome with gloves (NOT)

But I have nothing to compare to either.

WRAF233

NE NV

#40 WREN301

WREN301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:04 AM

You should be able to get that set up without the software. All on the front panel. I programmed mine by hand when I first got it. Before I ordered the cable.

Diamond MR77

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users