#1 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:25 AM

I believe telemetry and data can be used on MURS, just limited to 2W. So, I was wondering what is required to get started on a stand-alone home tracking APRS setup, without requiring to log on the internet or use ham internet sites, etc, just for the stuff around my property? What kind of radio do I need to make this happen? Can a portable work?, or do I need a particular mobile? Could the EVX-5300/5400 do it? well, provided I run a 10dB attenuator on the TX side of the radio (to keep ERP power within legal 2W limits) 

Thanks.

G.

#2 Radioguy7268

Radioguy7268

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern PA

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:06 PM

The only company that I know of which still offers a "standalone" GPS for analog emissions is IDA company - www.idaco.com   The stuff works, but it's not a 'cheap' solution.

I'd also tell you that if you're heading in that direction - why limit yourself to MURS?  Get a real part 90 license & go for something with some legs. No sense spending for a self contained GPS solution that's only good for a mile or two, and have to deal with trying to integrate it with MURS limited equipment (your EVX radios are still not MURS legal if you're running something with a detachable external antenna - which you'd pretty much need in order to throttle it down to 2 watts.)

There used to be a few companies that made a WiFi based GPS solution, where the vehicle would have a GPS antenna & receiver that would collect tracking information throughout the day, and whenever the vehicle returned within the range of the Home Base/Transport Garage - the WiFi would connect & download that day's info.  Not exactly real time, but it did the trick for History Logging. It would also work within a few hundred foot radius if you got the WiFi access point up high enough. Not sure if you could make something like that into a real-time tracking setup, or if there's anyone still making that. I haven't seen anyone trying to re-sell any old turn-key systems via Ebay or anything.

There's a few units offered for sale that plug directly into a vehicle's OBD-II port & work through Cellular data at a fairly low monthly cost.

#3 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:23 PM

Hey thanks, certainly a lot of stuff available from that company.

I was thinking more of a TNC hooked up to a soundcard or something like that, rather than a full commercial solution.

Have considered getting an LMR license too... and that is certainly a possibility. And if going that route I know Motorola has an asset tracking solution with their MotoTRBO stuff...

G.

The only company that I know of which still offers a "standalone" GPS for analog emissions is IDA company - www.idaco.com   The stuff works, but it's not a 'cheap' solution.

I'd also tell you that if you're heading in that direction - why limit yourself to MURS?  Get a real part 90 license & go for something with some legs. No sense spending for a self contained GPS solution that's only good for a mile or two, and have to deal with trying to integrate it with MURS limited equipment (your EVX radios are still not MURS legal if you're running something with a detachable external antenna - which you'd pretty much need in order to throttle it down to 2 watts.)

There used to be a few companies that made a WiFi based GPS solution, where the vehicle would have a GPS antenna & receiver that would collect tracking information throughout the day, and whenever the vehicle returned within the range of the Home Base/Transport Garage - the WiFi would connect & download that day's info.  Not exactly real time, but it did the trick for History Logging. It would also work within a few hundred foot radius if you got the WiFi access point up high enough. Not sure if you could make something like that into a real-time tracking setup, or if there's anyone still making that. I haven't seen anyone trying to re-sell any old turn-key systems via Ebay or anything.

There's a few units offered for sale that plug directly into a vehicle's OBD-II port & work through Cellular data at a fairly low monthly cost.

#4 kipandlee

kipandlee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:17 PM

argentdata  has some  APRS Packet Radio stuff reasonably priced and a pretty good selection of radio compatible cables giving a few different options     https://www.argentda...ex.php?cPath=22

• gman1971 likes this

#5 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:28 AM

argentdata  has some  APRS Packet Radio stuff reasonably priced and a pretty good selection of radio compatible cables giving a few different options     https://www.argentda...ex.php?cPath=22

THANK YOU very much!!

G.

• kipandlee likes this

#6 kipandlee

kipandlee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:05 AM

you are very welcome 

• gman1971 likes this