WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAF233

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:16 PM

Going to install a Kenwood mobile GMRS in my '18 F350 (aluminum) and 1/4 wave antenna.  I have a back-rack/headache rack on the truck that has a slot for accessories and I have a mounting plate to go with it (also aluminum).  The mounting plate is 8" square.  I would drill the plate for an NMO mount.  It would make a clean installation but I'm wondering if that's a good enough ground plane or will performance be a lot better if I mount the antenna directly to the roof?

Obviously, a magnetic mount won't work on an aluminum roof so would have to drill into the roof, which is not a big deal, but prefer not.

Is the ground plane only the surface the antenna is grounded to and not surfaces around it (like the roof)?  Would the width of the backrack (same as truck bed width) contribute to the ground plane?

Gary

WRAF233

NE NV

#2 Jones

Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYM541
  • Ham Callsign:KB0HAW

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:34 PM

6 inches or more is a near perfect ground plane for UHF, so your proposed 8 inch plate would be great just as it is.  You should get good results from that.

Make sure your headache rack is grounded to the truck's frame and body to avoid static. as in, if it is mounted on rubber bushings, run ground straps or wires as needed.

• WRAF233 likes this

#3 Elkhunter521

Elkhunter521

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationWashougal Washington
  • GMRS Callsign:Ask

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:48 AM

Hi Extreme,

Keith T here. I have a similar mount setup. Headache rack with gmrs antenna on. A 8"x8" x 1/8 plate center top.
Also , cophase cb antenna at 1/8 wavelenth o edges of rack.
  • WRAF233 likes this

Be vewy vewy quiet.
I'm listening to my wadio!

#4 kb2ztx

kb2ztx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • GMRS Callsign:WQLY948
  • Ham Callsign:KB2ZTX

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:48 AM

I installed a back rack on my new JT as its a soft top. It has the bracket also. It works OK, but not as good as my F150 with a drilled NMO with same 1/4 wave antenna. I mostly talk simplex and it is noticeably different although both sweeps show the same on a VNA. Its the only solution I have on the JT so it is what it is. I would prefer a roof mount NMO. In regards to the NMO mount get the good sealed mount. I run the Larsen thick mount as the standard NMO wont fit the steel plate. I got mine from antenna farm - https://www.theanten...mokhfcxthk-1161

• RCM likes this

#5 berkinet

berkinet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:51 AM

...Is the ground plane only the surface the antenna is grounded to and not surfaces around it (like the roof)?  Would the width of the backrack (same as truck bed width) contribute to the ground plane?

For a little more information on ground planes take a look at this page from stackexchange. Note in particular the first answer.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#6 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:36 AM

delete

Gary

WRAF233

NE NV

#7 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:48 AM

For a little more information on ground planes take a look at this page from stackexchange. Note in particular the first answer.

Link brings me to the top of this thread. 

I did however go out and Google for more information.  I'll learn a lot by the time I get to the answer.

https://www.electron...eory-design.php

Gary

WRAF233

NE NV

#8 berkinet

berkinet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:12 AM

Link brings me to the top of this thread. 

Fixed. Thanks for noticing that.

I did however go out and Google for more information.  I'll learn a lot by the time I get to the answer....

:)

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#9 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:50 PM

Hi Extreme,

Keith T here. I have a similar mount setup. Headache rack with gmrs antenna on. A 8"x8" x 1/8 plate center top.
Also , cophase cb antenna at 1/8 wavelenth o edges of rack.

Keith,

..and the GMRS works well with this setup?

Thank you.

Gary

WRAF233

NE NV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users