#21 daschnoz

daschnoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJF728
  • Ham Callsign:KC3QMT

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:35 AM

I'm using a Nagoya 72 on my truck for GMRS. It's technically 2M/70cm, so I did need to trim about 5/16" off of it to center tune it for GMRS. I used a NanoVNA and it worked quite well. I went with the NMO mount so I can easily change it if I decide to, but I honestly don't think I will need to. It's on a magnet NMO mount at the moment, but I do plan to do something a bit more permanent in the future.

#22 1URFE57

1URFE57

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationRocket City
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJI929
  • Ham Callsign:KG5OEQ

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:48 AM

I have 2 MIDLAND MXTA26 as base antenna and mobile I also have 2 MIDLAND Ghost antenna managed 9 miles simplex with MTXA26 within city limits and 6 miles on the Ghost antenna.

#23 H8SPVMT

H8SPVMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJF317

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:15 AM

I'm using a Nagoya 72 on my truck for GMRS. It's technically 2M/70cm, so I did need to trim about 5/16" off of it to center tune it for GMRS. I used a NanoVNA and it worked quite well. I went with the NMO mount so I can easily change it if I decide to, but I honestly don't think I will need to. It's on a magnet NMO mount at the moment, but I do plan to do something a bit more permanent in the future.

I would be "careful" of that NMO antenna especially the 6Db gain with the magnetic mount.  My experience;  it burned the paint on the hood of my Jeep even with the so-calleded isolator (thin rubber cup) installed. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by H8SPVMT, 28 October 2020 - 08:53 PM.

#24 cardaddy73

cardaddy73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCLARKSVILLE
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJK580

Posted 28 October 2020 - 02:28 PM

I have tried the Laird and a quarter wave and my swr/vswr shows very high on a Bird Meter, what kind of readings do you all get from a similar setup? I use a adapter to hook to my Boefanf uv5r.

#25 JCase

JCase

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationDaytona Beach, Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WRDM373

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:40 PM

I have a few Tram 1181 (starts around $18) antennas and they work quite well. You will have to tune them but mine only required about 3/4' cut off and they produced a 1.4 SWR. 

My preferance is Laird Technologies AB150/450CS. Right out of the packaging they produced a 1.0-1.1 which is awesome. No tuning needed and my experience has all been positive.

My primary band usage is GMRS on UHF and 151-158 on the VHF side primarily 154. 

I've never found another dual band antenna for the commercial bands that can do better and Laird Technologies AB150/450CS is around $39. A little on the high end compaired to the average economy models but not the most expensive and definitely worth the money in my books.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users