Help setting up the scan function for Kenwood 8180 with Kenwood software

Mikeam

Question

So I have my Kenwood 8180 installed and set up it performs great but I can not seem to get it to scan properly. On my Btech v1 I can scan all GMRS channels with no issue but I am lost on getting the 8180 to scan all 46 channels. Any assistance is appreciated. It seems to only scan the repeater channels  as I can put it in scan mode and then say use channel 6 on a hand held in the garage and the 8180 does not hear or react to it in scan mode but if a repeater is active it will stop on that channel. If I put the 8180 on channel 6 it communicates with the HT. Thanks Mike

7 answers to this question

So I have my Kenwood 8180 installed and set up it performs great but I can not seem to get it to scan properly. On my Btech v1 I can scan all GMRS channels with no issue but I am lost on getting the 8180 to scan all 46 channels. Any assistance is appreciated. It seems to only scan the repeater channels  as I can put it in scan mode and then say use channel 6 on a hand held in the garage and the 8180 does not hear or react to it in scan mode but if a repeater is active it will stop on that channel. If I put the 8180 on channel 6 it works fine. Thanks Mike

There are a lot of possible reasons for the errors.

One: The 8180 scans single "Zones" Another words, if you have all simplex channels in one, repeaters in another zone, you would only be able to scan one or the other.

Two: You may not have added the channels into "scan" In the channel edit screen confirm the channels you want to scan have the "Scan add" checkbox checked.

Three: Off hook scan. Ensure "Off-hook scan" is checked in the Scan Information Window (Edit>Scan Info)

Last, The radio may be in scan however your PL/DPL tones may not be set properly. The radio still checks for PL/DPL tones even in scanning. The same with "Opt Signal" if you have that set up.

If none of the above is the problem, feel free to PM me and I'll send you my e-mail address so I can take a deeper look at the settings. I can tell you the 8180 will scan both repeater and simplex frequencies.

Tomorrow I will go over your answer and do screen shots of the set up in the software. I figure it is something I did not configure correctly as everything else works fine.

All channels in zone 1 are simplex and repeater channels

All channels have the scan add on!

I believe the off hook scan is on

On the (PL/DPL tones may not be set properly) only the repeater channels have any PL tone set up

Also note that they can woods don't actually show the channel it's looking at when it scans unless it hears a signal.

Yes I noticed that but with it only picking up the repeater channel it did show the correct channel number when there was actual activity.  I also have to add that the useful help on this forum exceeds any other forum I am on really a nice thing!

Ok, I have looked over the code plug and even uploaded the code-plug to one of my radios and I found that my radios work just fine. They scan all 36 channels and stop on the channel I am transmitting on with no issue. I thought maybe the squelch setting was too high however Mike seems to have it set very low and still has the issue. I'm thinking this may be a radio issue itself and not the programming as it seems to be working just fine as is here.

To recap, Mikes radio will scan, however while scanning it does not stop on any of the 22 simplex channels UNLESS he is already tuned to that channel or its one of the repeater channels with a PL code, then the radio seems to hear it. I am thinking that perhaps the receiver is off frequency and may need to be re-tuned, or that there is an issue with the RX side of the board. Outside of those two things I'm fresh out of ideas, however I am 99% sure the code-plug is NOT the issue.

Also note that they can woods don't actually show the channel it's looking at when it scans unless it hears a signal.

Yes the issue is it does not hear and or respond to any transmissions unless it comes from the frequency I am on at the time. For example I am listening in to repeater 18 and then there is no more traffic so I put the transceiver into scan mode and pick up my HYT and say use GMRS 6 and do a slow radio check with a count to say 20 and the scan does not pick it up. But if I put the HT  and the Kenwood on channel 6 they both receive and transmit without failure so the Kenwood seems to be working in manual mode which made me think I had something programmed wrong. Not a deal breaker I am just used to scanning the channels especially in the back country, Thanks Mike

FWIW shoot me a PM and I will send you my email so I can take a crack at this.

Not sure how much help I will be but I have setup all (6 total) the ones used by my family.

Once I get your "dat" file from you I will take a look at it and load it into my spare 8180 and see what I come up with.

ALL of the Kenwoods have a group that contains a mix of repeater channels and simplex ones and the scan function works flawlessly in that group.

I suppose the frequency could be off but if that is the case, why does the radio work/pickup the simplex channels when it is not in scan mode?

Weird....