Battery Backup

Savage

Yeah they are for my fridge/freezer and some led lights that came with the kit. I use a cheap 10ah battery on a charger for my gmrs mobile base radio. I also have a 12v power supply which runs my cb currently but I can just tie that in to the battery if the power goes out.

How much life does the 10ah battery give your base?  I keep getting drawn into thinking I need 100ah or more.  

How much life does the 10ah battery give your base? I keep getting drawn into thinking I need 100ah or more.

Probably several days but I always put it on the charger at night so I can't say for sure. For example, today my btech 50x1 was on it all day scanning and I transmitted for maybe 30 mins total on high power (50 watts) and it never dropped below 14.1 volts. The radio needs a minimum of 13.8 so I figure under normal use I can get several days out of a single charge. I also have 2 large deep cycle batteries from my trolling motor that I keep hooked up to a 100w solar panel so in the worst case scenario I have that to fall back on. The small battery I use for my station is the 10ah harbor freight one for their electric start generators. It's smaller than a lawn tractor battery and easy to transport so that is why I use it. I think a regular size car or truck battery and a small solar panel would be more than enough to keep you on the air 24/7 as long as you you aren't rag chewing the whole time

I always over-engineer... It allows for later expansion without buying EVERYTHING all over again. If you don't plan on doing anything but the one radio, by all means, go as light as you can.

Personally, I think you are way over engineered. I would look at other supplies such as some of the inexpensive Chinese ones. I'm running a 30A no name that's designed for communications work and paid less than $25 for it. If you want a good Chinese one, look to Mean Well. Their supplies are a little more than what I paid but have a great rep. My little cheapie has millivolts of ripple, so little I can't measure it accurately with my cheap Harbor Freight meter.