BoxCar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationArden, NC
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCM737

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:14 PM

100W at 12vDC is 5A of current and it is probably a little more than 1/3 of your transmit draw. Your batteries should recover the drawdown from 1 minute of transmit time in about 4 minutes with your panels putting out the full wattage.

Old and wise infers you were once young and stupid

#22 Savage

Savage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSouthern Calif.
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJK853

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:03 PM

I have 2 deep cycle batteries on a 100watt HF solar panel kit. I may expand it to the full 400w it's capable of but I think the 100w panel should keep me on the air no problem.

Do you have a basic, bare bones setup and if so, out of curiosity what are you using?  As always, I start down a path and next thing I know I'm $1,500 (or more) into what I thought was going to be a simple setup.

I'll eventually do this for emergency power but have been spending more than usual on shtf things so am holding off on this for now.  At one point I was going to drop a greenhouse in the backyard and use solar for hydroponic pumps, lighting, etc. and this exercise reminded me of why I held off on that project too. 

#23 FrancisHaws

FrancisHaws

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:Wqzy256

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:35 AM

Do you have a basic, bare bones setup and if so, out of curiosity what are you using? As always, I start down a path and next thing I know I'm $1,500 (or more) into what I thought was going to be a simple setup.

I'll eventually do this for emergency power but have been spending more than usual on shtf things so am holding off on this for now. At one point I was going to drop a greenhouse in the backyard and use solar for hydroponic pumps, lighting, etc. and this exercise reminded me of why I held off on that project too.

I went the bare bones route with a 100w harbor freight solar kit, it comes with everything you need minus a battery and an inverter. I just wanted something to keep my radios online and charge electronics so I don't have to run my generator 24/7 in the event of a long term power outage like we have had in the past from ice storms. The long term plan is to expand my solar to 400w so I can run my fridge and deep freezer intermittently off an inverter to keep food from spoiling. I run wood stoves in the winter anyway to keep my heating bills low so that covers that.
  • Savage likes this

#24 berkinet

berkinet

Senior expert on absolutely nothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:27 PM

I went the bare bones route with a 100w harbor freight solar kit, it comes with everything you need minus a battery and an inverter....

Is the inverter just for your A/C appliances? If you are using it for your radios, you should be tying them directly to the battery... after all, virtually all of them run on 12vdc.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#25 FrancisHaws

FrancisHaws

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:53 PM

Is the inverter just for your A/C appliances? If you are using it for your radios, you should be tying them directly to the battery... after all, they virtually run on 12vdc.

Yeah they are for my fridge/freezer and some led lights that came with the kit. I use a cheap 10ah battery on a charger for my gmrs mobile base radio. I also have a 12v power supply which runs my cb currently but I can just tie that in to the battery if the power goes out.

#26 Savage

Savage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSouthern Calif.
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJK853

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:44 PM

Yeah they are for my fridge/freezer and some led lights that came with the kit. I use a cheap 10ah battery on a charger for my gmrs mobile base radio. I also have a 12v power supply which runs my cb currently but I can just tie that in to the battery if the power goes out.

How much life does the 10ah battery give your base?  I keep getting drawn into thinking I need 100ah or more.  

#27 FrancisHaws

FrancisHaws

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:27 PM

How much life does the 10ah battery give your base? I keep getting drawn into thinking I need 100ah or more.

Probably several days but I always put it on the charger at night so I can't say for sure. For example, today my btech 50x1 was on it all day scanning and I transmitted for maybe 30 mins total on high power (50 watts) and it never dropped below 14.1 volts. The radio needs a minimum of 13.8 so I figure under normal use I can get several days out of a single charge. I also have 2 large deep cycle batteries from my trolling motor that I keep hooked up to a 100w solar panel so in the worst case scenario I have that to fall back on. The small battery I use for my station is the 10ah harbor freight one for their electric start generators. It's smaller than a lawn tractor battery and easy to transport so that is why I use it. I think a regular size car or truck battery and a small solar panel would be more than enough to keep you on the air 24/7 as long as you you aren't rag chewing the whole time
  • Savage likes this

#28 O-B-1

O-B-1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA
  • GMRS Callsign:WRHW845

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:15 PM

If you don't need the meters, this is the model without them. https://www.toboaene...Supply | $156.8

If you don't need the 100A capacity, you may like this: https://www.toboaene...-25amp-charger/

I always over-engineer... It allows for later expansion without buying EVERYTHING all over again. If you don't plan on doing anything but the one radio, by all means, go as light as you can.

Thank you and 73...

David W. Mitchell

"Live for today, love like there is no tomorrow..."

1 Corinthians 13  (Miss you Dottie)

#29 BoxCar

BoxCar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationArden, NC
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCM737

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:27 PM

Personally, I think you are way over engineered. I would look at other supplies such as some of the inexpensive Chinese ones. I'm running a 30A no name that's designed for communications work and paid less than $25 for it. If you want a good Chinese one, look to Mean Well. Their supplies are a little more than what I paid but have a great rep. My little cheapie has millivolts of ripple, so little I can't measure it accurately with my cheap Harbor Freight meter.

Old and wise infers you were once young and stupid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users