MXTA26 6DB GAIN vs. Browning BR-450 5.5DB Gain

Greg43545

Question

I recently purchased a Baofeng UV-5R Pro for use in my vehicle.

I plan on using it as a mobile for GMRS ( Yes, I'm licensed ( WRJD307 ) and I will obey the power regulations with it as prescribed for GMRS ) and I'm also studying for my HAM Technician License and plan on using it as a starter radio for HAM when I'm Technician licensed.

I've been looking at Mobil Antennas and two in particular have caught my attention. One being the MXTA26 ( 6Db gain ) by Midland and the other being the Browning BR-450 ( 5.5Db gain ).

I'd like to get opinions on:

How do they compare to each other? ( Transmit range & Reception Quality, etc. )

and

If either would work better with the Baofeng UV-5R Pro than the other?

7 answers to this question

I can’t help you with a comparison. I can only comment on the MXTA26 because it is the one I own.

I have no qualms with it. I use it top-dead-center of my SUV and connect it to my HT. I have successfully used it half-dozen times already talking along the I-75 corridor to the Cincinnati 700 repeater (with good signal) 34 miles to its North, and again 26 miles to its South East.

No adjustment to the antenna was needed, SWR was excellent from the factory. So, I am satisfied with it, and currently would not hesitate to purchase it again.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can’t help you with a comparison. I can only comment on the MXTA26 because it is the one I own.

I have no qualms with it. I use it top-dead-center of my SUV and connect it to my HT. I have successfully used it half-dozen times already talking along the I-75 corridor to the Cincinnati 700 repeater (with good signal) 34 miles to its North, and again 26 miles to its South East.

No adjustment to the antenna was needed, SWR was excellent from the factory. So, I am satisfied with it, and currently would not hesitate to purchase it again.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM.

Thank you Michael, I appreciate the reply. If I may ask what type of HT are you using with it?

Greg

WRJD 307

I purchased a MXTA26 6Db gain for use on my Jeep with a MXT-400 FRS/GMRS.  Initially it burned the paint on my hood in at least two places.  I was (am still) using the isolator (rubber cup) that waas provided for the magnetic base.  I thought the cup was supplied to prevent scratches to the paint, not burning.

The antenna has performed well up close on the highways between autos as well as off-road in caravans.  I have managed to talk as far as 34 miles to activate a repeater and talk oneway with a friend.  I say, "oneway" as he hear me but could not actuate the repeater to talk back.

I manufactured an shelf for the antenna to ride off the side of the hood and not damage the paint.

Initially it burned the paint on my hood in at least two places.  I was (am still) using the isolator (rubber cup) that was provided for the magnetic base.  I thought the cup was supplied to prevent scratches to the paint, not burning.

In your opinion,

1) What caused the " burning " ?

2) Has the isolator ( rubber cup ) reduced the transmit / reception efficiency of the antenna?

3) Would you recommend this antenna for the purpose I described above in the original post?

I've been running the Midland mag mount as well, without the isolator, sometimes sitting in direct sun for a couple weeks at a time, with no noticeable issue.

Not sure where the issue is, tbh. I haven't done much transmitting, but we do see a lot of triple digit heat in june-aug And some of Sept, with low humidity. And again, the lack of the rubber isolator.

In your opinion,

1) What caused the " burning " ?

2) Has the isolator ( rubber cup ) reduced the transmit / reception efficiency of the antenna? 

3) Would you recommend this antenna for the purpose I described above in the original post

What caused the burned paint? I don't rightly know.  Bubbles appeared between the clearcoat and base paint while shortly transmitting over a two day period at 40 watts.

I am a newbie to all the technical aspects antenna efficiency.  I used the antenna isolator to prevent scratches in the paint as it is a new vehicle.

Maybe the isolator has reduced my reception and TX when it was on the hood.  After manufacturing a separate plate to set of to the side of the hood (with a ground strap) it seems to TX slightly better.  I have no way to officially measure that tho.  I did use the antenna to speak to a friend while he was on a HT in his hotel room and I on the mountain.

Yes I would recommend the antenna for your use.

11/1/2020 Midland contacted me today to see about getting to the cause and a resolution.

Edited by H8SPVMT