N00b Question

openskies2009

Question

Upon getting my MXT400 MicroMobile, I soon noticed I needed a power converter to plug into my house. It looks like the unit is for hooking into a car. I ordered a DuraComm Desk Top LPX which arrived yesterday, and saw no means on connecting the red and black wires that came from the MXT400. Only on the back of the LPX were four screws which I un tightened but didnt allow me to clamp the wires into the holes..  I ended up jamming the wires in without tightening anything and the radio worked fine.. but its not the safest or what is is supposed to look like.. How do I do this?

4 answers to this question

I hate those type of wire clamps. They work, but you must loosen the screw all the way up first, be sure the clamping plate is moved out of the way, then put the wire in the hole, then tighten the screw back down, which will activate the clamp to lock the wire in place.  It is very easy to get the wire inserted on the wrong side of the clamping plate, and it will never work that way.

Get the wire out of the way first, and tighten-loosen the screws until you figure out how it works.  Make sure to get the wire on the correct side of the clamping plate.  There are 2 connections for red, and 2 for black.  You don't need to use all of them unless you are hooking up more than one radio.

EDIT: It may take 20 or 30 turns to fully activate-deactivate the clamping mechanism.  Look inside the wire hole as you run the screw.  You'll figure it out.

I hate those type of wire clamps. They work, but you must loosen the screw all the way up first, be sure the clamping plate is moved out of the way, then put the wire in the hole, then tighten the screw back down, which will activate the clamp to lock the wire in place.  It is very easy to get the wire inserted on the wrong side of the clamping plate, and it will never work that way.

Get the wire out of the way first, and tighten-loosen the screws until you figure out how it works.  Make sure to get the wire on the correct side of the clamping plate.  There are 2 connections for red, and 2 for black.  You don't need to use all of them unless you are hooking up more than one radio.

EDIT: It may take 20 or 30 turns to fully activate-deactivate the clamping mechanism.  Look inside the wire hole as you run the screw.  You'll figure it out.

Gravity hasn't stopped working as of yet. Turn it upside down and then insert the wire. Works every time for me.