Log books?

STTScott

I'm dating myself, but I first got involved in amateur radio back when the CB craze was going on (late 1970s), except our household branched off into SSB. We in our club had monster kickers, monster moonraker antennas, and connecting with far-flung peopke in very distant places was always a major kick. A lot of us even exchanged postcards.

Anyways, another aspect of this was the log book, which we would fill out meticulously and at club meetings, we'd see who went the furthest, got the most contacts, etcetcetc. That was fun, and it's good to see it's still alive.

So ... Are log books still a thing? Where might they be available for order?

huge 

Here is a link to a free log sheet

https://www.businessformtemplate.com/preview/Amateur_Radio_Station_Log 

They offer both .pdf & .doc formats

If you download the .doc version, you can customize or tweak it to your needs

I remember the Radio Shack log book

I also was into CB in the mid-70s, loved operating on SSB, both local QSOs & shooting skip

I'm dating myself, but I first got involved in amateur radio back when the CB craze was going on (late 1970s), except our household branched off into SSB. We in our club had monster kickers, monster moonraker antennas, and connecting with far-flung peopke in very distant places was always a major kick. A lot of us even exchanged postcards.

Anyways, another aspect of this was the log book, which we would fill out meticulously and at club meetings, we'd see who went the furthest, got the most contacts, etcetcetc. That was fun, and it's good to see it's still alive.

So ... Are log books still a thing? Where might they be available for order?

Yes, Log Books are used almost every day by amateur radio enthusiasts. Only nowadays there are software and online versions available. I do not know that anyone uses them for everyday communication, but certainly the amateurs that live in the DX world (long-distance and world-wide communication) use them, and many still send cards to confirm the contact.

I personally keep a log of new contacts I make when communicating from within my home where I have access to my log and where it is convenient and safe to do. I do this for both GMRS and Amateur contacts. I log call sign, first name, and some notes about the person to help me start the conversation next time.

The log book on QRZ.com website is nice. It does not work well for GMRS. If you are a ham, and you a contesting for distance, it is a great tool because when you record your contact, it also notifies your contact so they can confirm that contact was made. Confirmation can be required at times to receive full contest points.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use qrz logging for new dx logging.  On a daily basis I use the old fashioned composition note book and pen on the daily net I am on.  In that logbook I record all the users of the net daily. Weather info for myself and others and a diary of sorts on how I feel physically.  Also any important info I jot down for the day. Birthdays,anniversary and some pissing and moaning.  If I had a contact on my GMRS repeater I probably would add it to my daily log

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to GMRS, but there are several repeaters in my area and have made contact with quite a few licensed users. I just created an excel spreadsheet.  I mainly did it so that I could start recognizing and learning call signs. Basically it just has columns for names, call sign, location and short note to help me remember who's who. Being able to review the information I've been able to learn others call signs rather quickly.

I'm new to GMRS, but there are several repeaters in my area and have made contact with quite a few licensed users. I just created an excel spreadsheet.  I mainly did it so that I could start recognizing and learning call signs. Basically it just has columns for names, call sign, location and short note to help me remember who's who. Being able to review the information I've been able to learn others call signs rather quickly.

I did the same thing (created an Excel spreadsheet) of call signs/names/locations in my area.  Only I separated the first 4-letters of the call sign from the last 3-digits and put them in separate columns.  This is so I can sort all of them numerically by the 3-digits, because it's much easier to catch them that way when listening or find them when looking them up.  I've only had one case of duplicate 3-digits (of course the 4-letters are different).  I also use a different tab for which repeater I'm on.

Now I have about 90+ entries and am considering putting them in an Access database.