Which Antenna

digitaldevo

Question

6 answers to this question

what are your mounting situation and clearance concerns like?  Nagoya folds, midland doesn't, but depending where it's mounted that may not matter.  both midlands i have have been decent (unity and 3db whips). 

i'd also wonder how well the tuning on that nagoya fits; amazon listing says they tune for 460, but what will the swr be like on the repeater channels?

there's also the Nagoya NL-770g, intended for gmrs, but you'd need a nmo to uhf adapter with that one.

You might want to have a look at these antennas too. They don’t require a ground plane so you can stick them just about anywhere, even on a plastic roof top.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0345/4055/2323/files/bb4302n-whip-antenna-datasheet.pdf?v=1595960075

You want the model(s) that cover 450 to 470 MHz. I would recommend get the one wit a spring in the base for the higher gain models.

You might want to have a look at these antennas too. They don’t require a ground plane so you can stick them just about anywhere, even on a plastic roof top. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0345/4055/2323/files/bb4302n-whip-antenna-datasheet.pdf?v=1595960075 You want the model(s) that cover 450 to 470 MHz. I would recommend get the one wit a spring in the base for the higher gain models.

Where do you get these and does the Midland MXTA26 require a ground plane?  I'd love something I can stick on a fiberglass Jeep top.