Midland mxt-275 using repeater with split tones?

bobthetj03

Question

Newb here folks. Recently installed my mxt275 in my jeep. Purchased my license and got permissions to use a local repeater. I turned on my rp function to activate 15-22rp, set the TX frequency of the repeater to the channel on my radio, then the appropriate PL tone. I get a proper roger beep indicating the repeater is receiving my TX. The owner can hear me, but I can't RX him unless I turn on the monitor function. He has the repeater setup with split tones, so TX tone is different than RX tone. Do I need to enable the different tone on the standard 15-22 channels then set the other tone on the 15rp-22rp tone? or visa versa?  Or, is my unit not capable to do split tones? 

12 answers to this question

Hello and welcome! Glad to have you on board. Unfortunately most midland radios are unable to do split tones. I learned this the hard way myself. The MXT400 will do split tones if you buy a programming cable and find software for it. Keep in mind that you only have seven slots available to make custom stations on the 400. If you do a search on this site, you’ll find many topics and discussions about this very topic.

Hello and welcome! Glad to have you on board. Unfortunately most midland radios are unable to do split tones. I learned this the hard way myself. The MXT400 will do split tones if you buy a programming cable and find software for it. Keep in mind that you only have seven slots available to make custom stations on the 400. If you do a search on this site, you’ll find many topics and discussions about this very topic.

Thanks for the quick response jsouth. As I have feared, I should have done more research. the 275 just had the physical characteristics to fit in my jeep the way I wanted it, and was enticed by Midland's dumbing it down features and I'm a newb to all of this. Do you suppose I could TX to my party, then scroll to the other PL tone to receive? Yes, that would be a pain, and silly, but my only other option is to turn monitor function on and listen to static, but at least I can RX his transmission that way. 

[snip] Do you suppose I could TX to my party, then scroll to the other PL tone to receive? Yes, that would be a pain, and silly, but my only other option is to turn monitor function on and listen to static, but at least I can RX his transmission that way. 

You could buy a cheap bubble-pack GMRS HT (~$20) for monitoring only, and set it to the correct frequency/PL tone for listening.  Battery would last a long time if you are only monitoring.  That way, you could keep the MXT275 on the repeater TX frequency/PL without having to change it, and still hear all the repeater return traffic on the HT.

Interesting idea @Citizen and @jsouth. That might just work for the few situations where I come across a split tone repeater. I have a pair of Cobra MXT90's that I could experiment with. Do you think I would have any issues with the 2 radios being in close proximity to each other while I'm in my jeep? 

That might just work for the few situations where I come across a split tone repeater. I have a pair of Cobra MXT90's that I could experiment with. Do you think I would have any issues with the 2 radios being in close proximity to each other while I'm in my jeep? 

Coming across a split tone repeater should be pretty rare.  And as I understand radio proximity, you should not have any trouble with an HT in the same vehicle as your vehicle mounted mobile.

When you say Cobra MXT90's, I believe the MXT90 is a micro-mobile and is from Midland.

Recently purchased a Retevis RT76P. Programming is a bit buggy but it does work (split tones) and radio seems to be tough, as it seems to take a beating ok. I got mine off Amazon for $35. Read some of the recent activity on this site about it before purchasing to make sure you know what you’re getting.

Coming across a split tone repeater should be pretty rare.  And as I understand radio proximity, you should not have any trouble with an HT in the same vehicle as your vehicle mounted mobile.

When you say Cobra MXT90's, I believe the MXT90 is a micro-mobile and is from Midland.

My bad. I meant Cobra CXT90. 

I've had them for several years, so they are old. They are not repeater capable, but have the 22 gmrs channels. 

Well, I experimented with my hand held in the cab. Put the handheld on the rx tone and my MXT-275 on tx tone. I get horrible feedback when I try to transmit to the repeater. Guess that won't work. Just thought I'd update. On a good note, I used the radio on a jeep run recently, using another repeater with a single ctcss tx/rx tone with great results. Got to talk to a fellow from a good distance. Kind of was cheating since I was on a summit at 5000 feet elevation.