Midland MXT400 to BTech GMRS V1

scottnicely

Question

Hello. I am a bit of a 'new' GMRS user (Licensed: WRAM363). We've been using them for communication for our family fine with non DCS/CTCSS settings. However, I'm interested in expanding my knowledge/use for emergency preparedness, etc. I have a Midland MXT400 in my truck and one for home. I've got a few handhelds from Midland and Uniden for normal GMRS. I just got a Btech GMRS V1 as I am interested in extending range by using repeaters (and have permission from a few to test). One of the repeaters that I was given permission for uses DCS 125. I am a little perplexed by the DCS/CTCSS settings though. I figured I'd try a few things "locally" to test it out. Still not much luck. I set the two radios as below and can't seem to get them to talk. 

RPT22

GMRS

Midland MXT400 Setting: RPT 22 set on DCS 18 (which they say translates to 125 according to their manual)
Btech GMRS V1 Setting: RPT 22 set on Transmit and Receive for D122i which they say translates to 125...I’ve also so tried D125s with no luck

I've also tried using another repeater frequency/setup using CTCSS:

RPT20

GMRS

Midland MXT400 set to RPT 20 using PL code 141.3
Btech GMRS V1 set to the same

No luck Midland to BTech and vice versa.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Scott

4 answers to this question

Thank you for the reply KB2ZTX. After reading your reply, the light bulb went off around the TX/RX frequencies on the radios vs repeaters. When using a repeater channel on the Midland and BTech...it must go through a repeater to complete the TX Freq - RX Freq/TX Freq - RX Freq chain (Radio 1 OUT > Repeater IN/OUT > Radio 2 IN).

This guy, while not using GMRS frequencies, does a pretty nice job of explaining how a repeater functions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KrH86Dzhnc