Btech GMRS V1 initial programming

jk06

Question

Hi,

I just purchased my Btech GMRS V1 and wanted to know if I need to program in the frequencies or any other codes before using? My purpose of this is really just to see the benefits of using this type of technology.

I live in western washington and was trying to reach out to anyone using GMRS but have not had any luck. 

4 answers to this question

Hi,

I just purchased my Btech GMRS V1 and wanted to know if I need to program in the frequencies or any other codes before using? My purpose of this is really just to see the benefits of using this type of technology.

I live in western washington and was trying to reach out to anyone using GMRS but have not had any luck.

For simplex or repeater use, programming should not be nee the only setting you may need (especially on a repeater) is ctcss/DC's tones, which can be set from the front panel, no computer needed.

In many places, gmrs is used (as is its primary intent) within families/groups, so generally stick to their group. also, traffic is pretty low I some areas, so there may be no one there, or they may be running tones (which act as a filter) and not hear you.

For simplex or repeater use, programming should not be nee the only setting you may need (especially on a repeater) is ctcss/DC's tones, which can be set from the front panel, no computer needed.

In many places, gmrs is used (as is its primary intent) within families/groups, so generally stick to their group. also, traffic is pretty low I some areas, so there may be no one there, or they may be running tones (which act as a filter) and not hear you.

thanks for the feedback. so do you know of a step by step guidance for CTCSS/DC TONES? again, I'm new and willing to learn but not sure if the manual really helps me.

thanks,

John

thanks for the feedback. so do you know of a step by step guidance for CTCSS/DC TONES? again, I'm new and willing to learn but not sure if the manual really helps me.

thanks,

John

I don't know of a good step by step offhand, this thread translates some of it:https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/1978-translating-repeater-info-into-chirp-btech-gmrs-v1-vocab/

That said, it's really just knowing what codes the repeater uses, the menus are fairly straightforward for that part. Once you hit the menu button, scroll through and look for t-ctcs or t-dcs, depending what tones the repeater uses (if there's decimals, it's ctcss, 3 digit number, possibly followed by I or N is DCs). Hit menu to select that item, then scroll through to the correct tone, and hit menu to confirm (this is your "input tone").

You can also set a receive tone as well, but since it functions like a filter, you're fine leaving it off unless you only want to hear the repeater traffic on that channel.