possible virus in KG-805.exe

Guest surfacemount

Guest surfacemount

FYI   I downloaded the programming software for KG-805g and got a virus notice. I checked VirusTotal and uploaded the KG-805.exe and got confirmation. 

Some virus software will falsely flag perfectly OK files as infected. I had Norton AV years ago kept deleting the main EXE file for a $4500 microcontroller development environment I tried installing several times that I needed to use at work. I finally had to but the name of the file in an exclusion list to keep Norton from screwing with it. Very aggravating.

FYI I downloaded the programming software for KG-805g and got a virus notice. I checked VirusTotal and uploaded the KG-805.exe and got confirmation.

Yes, it is entirely possible. However, just about every distributed application that is not signed with a security certificate from one the big security companies (VeriSign, DigiSign, etc.) will be flagged as a threat. The version I have is not signed either. In my case Norton AV scanned it, indicated very few of its customers use that file but ultimately reported no threats found. Guess we won’t know for certain until the trojan horse within shows its ugly head. Hmmm.

It is a shame Wouxon does not take the necessary steps to get it signed so as to eliminate the guessing game. A signed application does not mean it does not contain a threat, but it does mean that if there is a threat we know whom the responsible party is. I believe if a signed application has been modified after it has be signed originally by the author, the AV software will again flag it as a threat. Viruses are regularly propagated by modifying unsigned files that are freely distributed on the internet.

Some virus software will falsely flag perfectly OK files as infected. I had Norton AV years ago kept deleting the main EXE file for a $4500 microcontroller development environment I tried installing several times that I needed to use at work. I finally had to but the name of the file in an exclusion list to keep Norton from screwing with it. Very aggravating.

I have have had cases were the software I am actively writing was flagged as well before it was signed. I too had to talk similar steps.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

I have have had cases were the software I am actively writing was flagged as well before it was signed. I too had to talk similar steps.

I have had my own software flagged as well. It is very frustrating, as I know darn well there's nothing wrong or dangerous with my code! There are ways to "self-sign" your programs, but that really defeats the purpose of certification completely...  :ph34r: